Fighting electrical "ghost"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidejack

Reaction score
Using the factory service manual, the schematic for 1986 GL Interstate can obviously be for those with better than 20-20 vision.
Nevertheless, I found TWO blown fuses in the left side pocket of the fairing:
1. 3 amp, with RED/RED looped through the fuse
2. 10 amp, BlkGreen/BlkGreen looped through the fuse
ANY ideas what these are for? At this point, I'm stumped.
Thanks.....jack

@sidejack

The fuses are for the clock and radio.

3 amp feeds the memory input to the radio, cb and clock, it is 'hot' at all times.
10 amp fuse feeds the clock and radio, 'hot' with key in 'on', 'acc' or 'park'. The clock feed comes off of it first, then it feeds the inline filter (in the same pocket). That filter feeds the radio and amplifier.

You may want to try and find a factory GL1200 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM). I found one on ebay and it has been very useful in fixing electrical issues.

There is also one in the Gallery Index & Tech Ref, here...

https://classicgoldwings.com/media/categories/1986-gl1200-electrical-troubleshooting.1963/
Part of this info is that I remember someone stating that those fuses feed the above mentioned. So I looked at page 122 (of the ETM) and there is a nice readable schematic and further info about the location and troubleshooting bits.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts