Final drive blues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellty

Reaction score
My Bike Models
80 gl 1100- 83 gl1100i-87 gl1200a
Found frame rot on my 05 Colorado(thanks gm for boxing the frame) 2 weeks ago and started to rebuild that which is taking up every weekend until i finish. Its already the end of June!!!! Now the final drive oil is leaking out of boot along with a slight click from u joint. Riding time has come to a halt but can't tear it down now and need to ride!! Has anyone just pushed through it without it grinding up on the road and leaving you stranded? Can you just keep an eye on the oil level and add when needed? Ugh

I don't expect gear lube to come out of the boot. Maybe engine oil (bad prop shaft seal) or thinned-out u-joint grease. Pull the boot back and see how bad it is and see if you can better identify the source. If indeed it is rear drive grease, there is a lot of tube there for it to fill. Spare rear drives are available on ebay and fairly easy to swap, but make sure to check for correct tightening sequence.

I don't expect gear lube to come out of the boot. Maybe engine oil (bad prop shaft seal) or thinned-out u-joint grease. Pull the boot back and see how bad it is and see if you can better identify the source. If indeed it is rear drive grease, there is a lot of tube there for it to fill. Spare rear drives are available on ebay and fairly easy to swap, but make sure to check for correct tightening sequence.
its def gear oil and not engine. did pull boot back and was coming from final drive down tube.

Latest posts