Font brake seals

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi people, just started to rebuild the front brake callipers. I have had two calliper rebuild kits in house for more than a year. so if anyone has read my rebuild I have had the callipers powder coated so all the seal would be toast, bought new pistons for them and I have started to put it back together, the seal that is provided in the kit, will not fit the slot in the calliper, it is too small.

The inside diameter appears to 38.65mm, outside is about 44.70mm. The kit is made by K&L and the part numbers are 32-1185 now it appears that this kit is for a "78" maybe a "79" but not a KZ which my bike may or may not be. I have found some discrepancies so maybe the brakes are not original. As luck would have it I have just seen a rubber seal that just happens to be the right size and fits in the groove properly, the size +_ is OD=49.15mm, ID=42.06, 2.93 thick, can anyone identify the year of this break calliper, the other one is the same.

Well spoke with David Silver Spares, spent 20 minutes trying to find the right brake kit, turns out that the callipers I have are off a CX500 or a CB900 or any other bike but mine. I bought this second hand and know nothing of the history, we David Silver and I have sort of gone through the list of possibles based on my piston size and finally got a calliper piston seal. Sometimes I feel like one forwards and three back. So first we checked the frame number he says hey there you got a K3, but that piston isn't from a K3. Hence the big confusion. Concentrating on the rear brake of late and didn't even consider the front. Even the calliper is strange, on one side the fixed part of the brake has two sizes of slide. One set does not fit the other, one has a sort of plastic around the slide pipe and the other doesn't? I just don't get it.

You can imagine how hard it would of been to keep your bike on the road pre Internet Ian. I remember the days of heading to the wreckers/ breakers to see what parts might work on anything exotic or unusual and not caring what they were as long as they worked :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151258#p151258:1qgym0tx said:
Ansimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:50 pm[/url]":1qgym0tx]
You can imagine how hard it would of been to keep your bike on the road pre Internet Ian. I remember the days of heading to the wreckers/ breakers to see what parts might work on anything exotic or unusual and not caring what they were as long as they worked :doh:

God your not joking, back in my day we had to use MCN (motor Cycle News) or other bike mags and papers, local scrap merchants and so on. a real pain in the bum.

Latest posts