fork oil replacement

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
Several people on here recommended putting an ounce of transmission seal restorer in the forks when replacing the oil and it may stop a leak. I finally tackled the job of doing that tonight. I advise removing those caps carefully, as they are under more spring pressure than I thought they would be. After several failed attempts to get them back in with just my hands, I fabricated a install tool our of 1-1/4" PVC. That made the job much easier to install the fork caps, and also removing them. The PVC is about 18" long. I heated one end of the PVC until it was pliable, then put in the fork cap and squeezed the PVC around it and held it until it set. The PVC allows you to get more down force on the cap and spring. Easy to make. The end does need to be square and not slanted or it will make starting the threads more difficult. I'm hoping this will stop the leak until fall when I plan on rebuilding both forks. Not something I want to do now with riding season coming. Anyone wants to see a picture of the PVC email me and I'll send a pic. Haven't had much luck putting a pic on these threads. And by the way, if you make one of the things, wear gloves. PVC has to be very hot to become soft enough to shape or bend.
Randy

Latest posts