Front forks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello to all and thanks for reading.

I went out to the west coast to pick up some parts for both bikes. I have landed a set of front forks that were air adjusted. They have caps on the top that will except a line to connect the two together from top to top. They both have a air filler nipple. Now what has me turning my head is there is no fluid in the forks and they are open to the world. But when I push down to compress them The springs are tight. Just like if you were to take a set of healthy set of forks and press down on them they don't have much give. Is it possible that the forks have had a tighter springs in them for they are air driven forks now.?

My front end has been riding low due to a leaky fork. To get to the center stand is not happening unless there is help. I am going to run the set of donor forks that are standard. But I just wonder what springs are in the forks that are set up for air. I thought about taking thos springs out of the air shocks and put them in my donor forks and run them fluid only. Unsure what is going on with the springs I'm just unsure about the mod. If anyone knows what other (stiffer springs) you can use in the forks or how to tell one set of springs from another that would be great, just blows my mind that a set of forks that have no load or air tight are as tight as a set that is air tight, Thanks again.

Also Joe I was reading about your MPG on you bike. That is super cool. I also didn't know CM was still in the manifold building ring..

Paul.

ok paul ... this is what i did on hooches forks ...they are 1000 forks 77yr...problem was they were a bit soft and with hooches power they would stretch out big time ...like it was hopping through gear changes ...actually it could pull the front wheel off the ground ...so i dont have money for new springs ...like progressive springs ...about a 100$ id say....so i put two valve springs from oldwing head in the forks on top of the ones already there ....this work great ..bike sits up taller has greater feel and dosnt seem to stiff to me ...

thanks about the gas mileage comment paul ..i really have no clue if cm is in manifold business ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164843#p164843:2y6qdi9n said:
joedrum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:59 pm[/url]":2y6qdi9n]
ok paul ... this is what i did on hooches forks ...they are 1000 forks 77yr...problem was they were a bit soft and with hooches power they would stretch out big time ...like it was hopping through gear changes ...actually it could pull the front wheel off the ground ...so i dont have money for new springs ...like progressive springs ...about a 100$ id say....so i put two valve springs from oldwing head in the forks on top of the ones already there ....this work great ..bike sits up taller has greater feel and dosnt seem to stiff to me ...

thanks about the gas mileage comment paul ..i really have no clue if cm is in manifold business ...
I just read something in a comment about him something along the lines he is getting 18/20 mpg with his manifold mods but really Idc. lol Just making a joke about the comment. pg 43 I think from your post.

So progressive springs are a option for the Gl1000 the forks were off another 78 I think it is safe to say no that possibley that the set of forks must have these progressive springs in them. They are nice and tight. with being free to the elements (not capped no fluid nor air pressure) I never seen springs that tight. My 77 has a great tight front end.

Attachments

• Dans comment.png
    Dans comment.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 177
An old wing that can pull the front wheel of the ground sounds awesome. My '80 stock, low geared 1100 pulls real solid but sadly can't pull the front wheel off the ground. I know that from reading Joe's posts that he is a builder/part swapper that can do magic.

well tuna ...its not like it pulls wheelies like a crotch rocket can ...oldwings are very low center of gravity ...but hooch will come off the ground if you hit second gear hard ...cant be much but it for sure dose it ...when i had the the 1100 swing arm in hooch its first gear was lower than a 80 modle 1100...sheesh and before that i had the 1000 swinarm in ...with these set ups hooch was a wild unbroken horse that hated riders and flat out dangerous....im not going to type what happen to me LOL...now it has 1200 swinarm and car tire and is very tall geared and it will still bounce the wheel off the ground in second gear ..personally i dont mess with first gear ..i know better after the flight it took where no part of the bike was on the ground or road .. :help: :hihihi: .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164863#p164863:2g0yg7l7 said:
joedrum » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 am[/url]":2g0yg7l7]
well tuna ...its not like it pulls wheelies like a crotch rocket can ...oldwings are very low center of gravity ...but hooch will come off the ground if you hit second gear hard ...cant be much but it for sure dose it ...when i had the the 1100 swing arm in hooch its first gear was lower than a 80 modle 1100...sheesh and before that i had the 1000 swinarm in ...with these set ups hooch was a wild unbroken horse that hated riders and flat out dangerous....im not going to type what happen to me LOL...now it has 1200 swinarm and car tire and is very tall geared and it will still bounce the wheel off the ground in second gear ..personally i dont mess with first gear ..i know better after the flight it took where no part of the bike was on the ground or road .. :help: :hihihi: .

Words just don't do Hooch any justice!!!

I think that my 1100 wing won't wheelie because there is an old 250# guy that drives it all the time.
I do miss driving the old sled in the winter though.