gas octane question again.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryinmich57

Reaction score
OK I did a search on gas octane to find out if I was feeding Stella right and I am sorry but I am still confused. :read:
Don't get me wrong she runs great and I have been giving her regular 87 on the yellow tag on the pump. :yahoo:
But there is also a 89 and 93 grade on the pump, now I like most do not have a overflow of money but even the 93 pump is only about 30 cents more per gallon and a full tank is only about 5 or 6 gallons so for about $1.50 or $1.80 more for a couple hundred miles if it is better for her I have no problem spending that, she is worth it if it makes her feel better.
After all my truck gets 10 mpg empty or pulling the camper it don't care, so it gets the 87 stuff.
So what do you think?
Does it hurt to run the good stuff.
Jerry

Hi Jerry,
If "Stella" isn't complaining (knocking or pinging) when you ride her, then 87 is fine...

If you were to do a percentage breakdown of different octane grades of gasoline you would find that 87 or regular gas actually has more "gasoline" in it than high test (95 or better).. the stuff that keeps the gasoline from knocking or pinging (the chemicals they add to regular gasoline) is greater in high test gas and actually dilutes the gasoline formula in favor of the stuff that is needed for higher compression engines that would detonate the fuel charge BEFORE the spark plug ignites it and cause the knocking or pinging that damages the pistons...

Funny thing is that the knock or ping is caused by a wave-front of burning fuel that is travelling in the WRONG direction as the piston is compressing the fuel charge.. it's like a little clap of thunder inside your cylinder that you hear as a "ping".. these thunder claps can be controlled by adding all the chemicals to slow down the gasoline's tendency to "explode" from high compression and other things that high performance engines have in common...

Bottom line, if she runs good and doesn't knock or ping, keep her on regular and pocket the difference and treat her to a nice wash & wax with the $$$ you save on not buying high test..

Rich

(just my $0.02 worth)

I have tried and run both to find no difference. The engine is designed to run on regular, but from a different period in history. We add the ATF to restore some of the lubricity that has been removed from gasoline with the new EPA requirements. I do not run ATF all the time, just on occasion. It does help run quieter for sure!

Rich explained it very well.
I have found no difference in my bike running 87 over the higher priced.
Occasionally I will get some bad gas that makes it ping when hot and under a load but that I believe is a different problem with the gas.

Whenever I buy a car I make sure it will run on 87. I've tested both my work van and Suburban with better than 87, no difference so I save the money.

:head bang: I add ATF to mine and it runs much smoother and gets up to 6 more MPG than using 87 alone. I also put in some SF the first of the month for good measure . It has really made a difference in my ride.

Latest posts