GL1100 trailer hitch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on making a trailer hitch for the bike and I am wondering if anyone has any photos of their home grown hitch they would like to share. I am using old handle bars for the main draw bars but I am having a hard time seeing how to get it around the final drive and the shocks.

Here's a couple picks for some homegrown gl1200 hitches. I haven't built them but I liked their design enough to save pics for future reference. They both tie in behind the passenger foot pegs. You just have to watch the clearance between the rear of the tire and the hitch when the tire grows or the suspension is traveling up and down. Maybe you can get some ideas from them anyway.
09hitchpainted.jpg
IMG_0634.JPG

Those look good, but running a standard, I am missing the rear crash bars so the rear support is going to be coming from where the grab rail mounts to the fender.

good question i cant remember and its not on a bike right now.... id say ite the muffler hanger ...but either spot would work ...it was a great hitch and didnt show itself much ...ill be using it again soon

joedrum":13854ot0 said:
easy enough to do ive got one home made one that hooks to a standard and it dose hook to grab rail support on frame
Standard? STANDARD???? JOE...its the Mongrel.......what is (was) Standard about the Mongrel??? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

nothing standard about the mongrel gerry thats for sure but the hitch is made out of flat stock mostly and has bracing in the back around the ball area to make it stout ....ther are stouter ways of making a hitch i was trying to have one that would look good nakid and still be good enough to work on small trailer

its rather easy to use the fantastic vetter bag hardware to hold a trailer hitch also ...i have one like that too ...its even better than most all after market hitches i will take a pic of that one too its totaly my fovorite

The problem though is that the Vetter bags are coming off for a pair of Bates bags, so I will need to have something that isn't dependent on the bag hardware.

Dan-

The hitch is made by Add On Inc. The part number is 993-181. It is listed for $139.99; I got it for $125.99 with my military discount.
It appears to be pretty solid - it took a bit of fiddlin' to get it mounted, but now that it's on, I think the design is pretty well thought out - I'd give it two thumbs up......
Now I just have to wire in a flat 4 and buy a trailer.......

KYWinger":1noh6uu9 said:
I just went to the local Honda shop and ordered my hitch - $130 was all. Now all I have to do is wire in a flat 4 connector.

I had thought about buying one until I looked at the $ required and what I would be buying. So far I am into mine for $10.00.

Latest posts