gl1100 trailer wiring

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received an old harbor freight trailer. I am cleaning all the metal of rust and priming the metal for painting.
I have no idea for the lighting on the trailer. Would love some input on both :

the wiring for the trailer and

wiring for the goldwing 1100.

I am not electrically smart so I need a dumby version on wiring on both. At this time I have no components for this project so I am open to any and all suggestions. led lighting or conventional?? or any other options.

I can't offer opinion on L.E.D. vs conventional, but I'll got a couple of general tips for ya.

1) - The easiest location to find for the group of wires you'll need to tap into are under the seat. You'll see the wires for tail, stop, left/right turn & ground. You'll need a 5-post connector (one for each of the fore mentioned circuits). The colors of the connector wires is not important, so long as you match on both ends. For example: turn signal wires (left is orange, right is blue). If the connector has purple and pink, you just need to figure which one on the trailer is left and which is right to connect to the proper wire on the bike. I've always tried to match any like wires when possible...If the connector has a green wire, that is automatically "ground", just like the bike, etc...

2) - My preference has always been for "most lights possible", so I would put two separate lights on for tail/brake (red) and turn signals (amber). It all depends on the trailer mounting space (and your budget, of course).

3) - Solder and heat shrink are your friends. I took ONE soldering class when I was in the 8th Grade (1979), so when I went to do the infamous "3-yellow wires" on my 1100, I relied on a you tube video to refresh my memory on soldering...If I can (successfully) get that job done, anyone can.

I just recently added a trailer hitch to my 83 1100...But I haven't yet put on the wiring connector (but that's mainly because I don't have a trailer - LOL). When I do add the connector, and I know that I will, I'll ask that someone take pictures as I go along. I apologize if I don't get it done in time to be helpful to your project, but it can still be shared for others...Safe riding, my friend!

joedrum":2kzk76c5 said:
I can't offer opinion on L.E.D. vs conventional, but I'll got a couple of general tips for you

good stuff in yours words

Oops...Sorry. :sensored:

I was only on my first cup of coffee when I wrote that. . .It should have been "I'VE got"
:doh:

For lighting on the trailer rear I agree, go for separate yellow turn signals and red brake lights both sides.
You have more light rearward and it also saves having to install a isolator on the bike for common brake and turn signals.

OK trailer is done.. NOW which wires under the seat of the 1100 do I use to connect the trailer lights? Do I connect the trailer wires before the connections for the bikes turn sigs? I assume to be able to disconnect so when I have to take saddle bags off?

Under the seat:

There are wires with 2 plugs green(-ground)? or is this the power wire?
1 wire blue (turn sig)?
1 wire brown (turn sig)?

So can someone tell me where and how to put the 4 wires from the plug at hitch to the bike?

I used led red tailight, 2 amber side lights, and a liscense plate light on the trailer.(liscense light had a red wire and a black wire coming from it).
As stated earlier I need a "wiring for dummy instructions".

I also ran a seperate wire for a 12 volt cooler on the trailer. I assume I need to put in a fuse and run that wire directly to the + battery post. Am I correct on this point? I wonder if this is not correct as I will need to have it shut off when the key is off so I do not run down the battery. any and all help is appreciated.
Thank You for any help

I have the schematics for the 80-83 1100 in the manual I have.
I will add 2 amber lights to the back.

So I attach one amber light to the blue wire for turn signal.
attach the other amber to the yellow wire for turn signal.
both red tail lights to the brown wire. along with one wire from each sidelight (amber)

attach the second wire from all of the above to the green wire or another common ground?

Is the above correct?

Now the extra wire I put on for the cooler which plugs into a cigarette lighter( which I will add to the trailer for the cooler plug.) I assume i need to put a 30 amp inline fuse in the wire. WHERE would I attach this wire to the bike? I would like it to turn off when key is off.

I am in the process of the poorboy conversion so power should not be a problem.

Thank You from a wiring dummy

I think the brake light wire is red it would connect to the tail light .

Where is the red wire on the bike? for the brake lights? under the seat--I have not seen a red under the seat.

The accesories was where I thought the cig lighter should go.

Thank You for all the above as I want to do it right the first time.

I ran seperate amber turnsignals on my first trailor,but was not happy with the look of seperate lights on the replacement trailor and could not find good bright amber lights to suite my need.
So I bought a set of LED double circuit trailor lights and wired the convertor into the trailor wiring leaving the bike wireing the way I had it.

I have gotten many coments on how bright and noticable the brake and turnsignals are on this trailor.

Latest posts