head gasket help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Chick

Reaction score
do any wingers live close to springfield il? i have a wing that needs the headgasket replaced. i have it but we r scared we will mess up the bike if we do something wrong. the local honda dealer wants me to bring them my bike and my book cause they have never done it before. why would i pay someone that knows as much as i do. :head bang: it just wasnt very incouraging to take in. just thought it couldnt hurt to ask. :beg: :beg:

ok heres whats going on now. the head gasket is on. but the timing belt stuff has me at a stand still. the engine is at top dead center but the timing is off by like one tooth. the guy i got it from said to make sure the side i didnt do the gasket on is set right. then turn the other side to mach up. then put the belt back on. sounds easy but i am still scared of it not being right. i did the gasket on the left side. the wheel the belt is on . on the right side the wheel the belt is on says up on the top, but the notch that u match up is on the inside not the out side. is that how its suppossed to be? i just want it to be right. i did all the work myself. i have never done a head gasket like this before. no one wants to help me they all act like goldwings r evil to work on. even the honda dealer.

Well to be absolutely certain your right on the cam that has a mark on the inside and not the outside, post a picture here.
I really don't want to read a valve is bent. Too much of that going around.

Just as an extra measure, have you backed off the valve adjusters?

Little Chick":3erqs1nw said:
ok heres whats going on now. the head gasket is on. but the timing belt stuff has me at a stand still. the engine is at top dead center but the timing is off by like one tooth. the guy i got it from said to make sure the side i didnt do the gasket on is set right. then turn the other side to mach up. then put the belt back on. sounds easy but i am still scared of it not being right. i did the gasket on the left side. the wheel the belt is on . on the right side the wheel the belt is on says up on the top, but the notch that u match up is on the inside not the out side. is that how its suppossed to be? i just want it to be right. i did all the work myself. i have never done a head gasket like this before. no one wants to help me they all act like goldwings r evil to work on. even the honda dealer.
The right side cam (as you sit on the bike) has the springs pushing back making it hard to hold the cam sprocket in place. Those marks have to be exact and yes you could be one tooth off if not right. That would be bad. I usually put the left belt on first and then with a box end wrench on the bolt in the center of the right sprocket I pull the sprocket into alignment with the mark and pop the belt on. There are several good tutorials around here with pictures.

viewtopic.php?p=2147#p2147

i was told to remove valve adjusters from the side i was taking off in the begining. i looked at some pics on here. i was told to stop at the first mark on the t. but the pic i saw mine might be off. because it showed the second mark matching up. i will try to up load some pics. and i am awaiting for further instruction. thanx every body!!!!!

hi little chick...
1 make sur everything is clean evendown plug holes both side ...if you dont have air ..use your own air it works ...

2 take plugs out ....replsce wires and boots as cover for open plug holes ....

3 using crank bolt turn the crank by hand till the piston s are half way down the clylinder ...one half way down all half way down ...you can use a plastic straw to check the pistons are sunk down...

4 turn the right side beltless cam to where the up is up on the pully and as close to the mark as possible ...the right timing spot is 9 oclock the cam gear will rest about 10 oclock...in a nuetral possition all valves close ......

5 now turn the crank slowly by hand again using crank bolt to the T1 possistion on crankshaft timing hole mark....now check the left side for the timing mark line up ...up sould be up here and the timing mark sould lineup at three oclock with mark on back timing cover mark ...it needs to be perfect not one tooth off ......

6 if the timing is right on the left side ...i would then loosen all the adjusters till they sunk in the rockers flush and resnug the lock nuts so thet wont come out all the way around both heads.....

7 now with the timing mark on T1 ...try and put the belt right side ..with adjusters all way loose its easier but still has to be turned by hand to the 9oclock possition for right timing ...iwill probably take several times to do it maybe more ...but this is it it has to be lined up perfect .....

8 once you think you got it and both sides and crankmark all look good ...move crank slowly till the first nuetral spot on either cam ...where the valves are under no pressure and readjust belt tensioner ...then othersid also....

9 from here turn motor by hand slowly to feel for any resistance as in hitting something go real slow ...if it gose good all the way around and dosent hit anything do it some more ...go around many times till your confident its not hitting anything .....if it dose feel like its hitting something stop and post about it....and also post if you think its good ...and we will go from there to final valve adjusting ...

10 hope you can understand my continuous sentences :hihihi: :mrgreen:

Another trick I learned to make sure everything stays lined up is that when you have the crank at T1 and the piston at TDC, mark the crank pulley and crank with whiteout so that you can keep an eye on it when manipulating the belts. I have had the crank go off one tooth as I have pulled on the belts to line them up on the pulley's.

As Joe mentioned -you've got this! Just take your time! :music:

ok i took pics gonna try to uplaod in a bit. but i know its not at tdc after lookin at pics on here. man this has been so stressfull. :head bang: i will be sooooo glad when its done. i hope its not messed up to bad. so i take both belts off? because the guy i got it from said to just take the side off i was doing. which was the left side. he also told me to take the valve adjusters all the way off. and do i also take them off the right side too? :help: i am gonna try to get the pics off my phone to post them. :thanks:

I don't think any need removed but backed off completely is good so all the valves stay shut while you get the cams and crank timed on the belts.

:headscratch: this is the right side.

Attachments

• phone 574.jpg
    phone 574.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 110
tdc? but now i know its not. and it has moved i dont know if the kids messed with it or what. but i wanna get it together before its messed up bad.

Attachments

• phone 571.jpg
    phone 571.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 107
Cannot see the mark on the right side, but the word UP is correct and it looks lined up correctly. The left side needs to turn a bit more clockwise to line up the mark. Looking at the word UP on the left side, the bottom of the letters should be even with the ground very similar to where it is now.

Valve open after the head was off? More than likely bent valve. :crying:

Latest posts