head gasket help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. If you loosened all the rockers off and then removed the head, then all four valves in that head should have been fully seated flush. If one valve was still up, it was either stuck or the stem was bent or the valve spring had collapsed and didn't have enough strength to pull the valve back flush into it's seat or the valve spring is broken. If it was me, I would make sure that valve was ok before I went a step further with belts or anything cause if it's not ok, it's gonna cause a whole lot of damage and cost a whole lot of dollars to fix if you try to run it like that. If you decide to proceed with the belts and valve adjustment, I suggest you go to the forums page,Goldwing Tips & Tricks, New 2uBike-read me, and scroll down to #4-Timing belts by Octane, great article and really clear pictures on every step, then down to #12=valve adjustment by Roady, great step by step with great pictures. Holler if I can help you . Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

A little late in thinking of this. But it would be a good idea when replacing head gaskets to just snug the headbolts until the belts are installed and cams are verified in "time". Just in case the head needs removed again.

yep, once you torque the head, the gasket is set. If the valve is moving up and down without binding, I would back the rocker off, and measure the spring height as compared to the other springs, if the spring height is shorter than the others or you see where the spring is broken, then it's start all over time. Remove the head, have the springs tested for height and tension, then proceed. You can do it with the right adapter for the spark plug hole and an air compressor without removing the head as long as the valve is ok and your only concerned with the valve springs.

Curious where your at on checking things.

At this stage I'd set the cam timing proper then start it and do a compression test. Compression test will tell if a valve is bent.
Can also check if the valve is seating by doing a leak down test.

have had alot going on. got it covered up in the garage. waiting for my husband to come back from out of town. hes not working on it, but want to be around when im doing it. so we kinda learn together. i will let ya know when i start again. hopefully within the week. :thanks:

Latest posts