Hello Everyone

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvacustoms

Reaction score
I am an ex Army soon to be rider of a 1984 GL1200 that my father in law wrecked I am planning a tribute bike if I feel comfortable riding the bike it will get completed as a tribute if not I will restore his first bike that has been sitting in a field for some time now a 1976 GL1000 in yellow. I live in Eatonton, GA and have a 1 year old son and a very understanding and loving wife that I adore. anyway look forward to conversating with many of you and I hope that I might too help people out in thier time of need on this forum. :moped:

Welcome aboard. If you are an experienced rider you've not much to get used to other than the weight of these machines. Fixing them should not be much trouble with all the help here.

slabghost":v4lul7np said:
Welcome aboard. If you are an experienced rider you've not much to get used to other than the weight of these machines. Fixing them should not be much trouble with all the help here.

+1 on not much to get used to. They're pretty easy to ride.

Mark

I have been riding almost daily since July 7th last year and had never ridden before that. I took the MSF course and watched a bunch of technique dvd's I have some experience but not as much as I will have tomorrow I am always learning. As far as the wrenchin' goes I have been a Certified Mechanic since since I was 19, but I have been wrenchin' my whole life on all kinds of stuff my mother was a mechanic and my father, grandfathers, and step father so i come from a long line of mechanics. I specialized in Diesel Mechanics with a side of heavy equipment and alot of hobby vehicles. I am kinda new to motorcycles since i only started working on them about 2 years ago but I am learning as I go, and starting with 2 bikes that have been sitting for years has made that a pretty in depth learning experience.

slabghost":p1t599xk said:
You'll be quite a help here once you learn a few things particular to these old bikes!

So far I have learned that a Baking soda blaster is a rusty chromes best friend. And that the popping noise that is made at about any rpm when the timing is spot on could be something as silly as a cracked spark plug ceramic. That is unusual but it fit my bike to a "T" it was popping at different rpm depending on the throttle blipping, and was spark jumping from the coil to the frame because of the intense amount of effort it was trying to put out to make that cylinder fire. And that a good 600 grit wet sanding on corroded aluminum parts and a bit of polish go along way for making a neglected bike look loved! also that the transmission fluid water cleaning trick for carburetors that have been sitting for a while will really smoke you out of a garage quick ! kinda forgot that I don't have a vent fan in my home garage... might be a soon upgrade.

Just for future reference. Running the bike is best done outdoors. Unless you have unwanted guests in your home. The fumes should make them depart.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Jvacustoms!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Jvacustoms":3bhni4ov said:
also that the transmission fluid water cleaning trick for carburetors that have been sitting for a while will really smoke you out of a garage quick ! kinda forgot that I don't have a vent fan in my home garage... might be a soon upgrade.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

You'll fit right in around here! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:

Latest posts