Hello from Southern Idaho - USA

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
Well, I am going this weekend to look at a few Goldwings, and hopefully this will be the week I become a Goldwing owner!

I bought a V-Star 250 a few years ago for the good gas milage, and found that I love riding more than I had expected. Now I want something that I can take the wife with me, maintain safe freeway speeds, and maybe do a few trips on. So I have found a few Goldwings in the local classifieds.

Last week I test-rode a, 85, and realized that I really like these big bikes. Unfortunately, the rear brake was disconnected (possibly hiding a problem?) and the front wheel felt really weird when I braked or turned, so I walked away from that one. So now I am going to look at three that range from a 1975 1000 to a 1985 1200. Wish me luck! If I don't find one I feel good about, I will go home (sad) and keep looking.

Does anyone know of any discussions on the different models? For example, my car experience tells me that sometimes (but not always) older can mean easier for the backyard mechanic to work on... Not sure if that applies here though. Any thoughts or links to threads on that kind of thing?

Take care!
Cervantes - Southern Idaho

this is such a big question thats realy hard to answer .....but all wings are just in a class all there own.....with 1000s the easyest to work on in a old schoool way .....as yrs go on they start to the other way more and more....but this not a big concern in buying a wing.... looking to fine one that runs good and fits your fancy is the way to go ......

the wing you look at could have been a jewel maybe in all aspects except brakes ....be more concerned about the overall condition and maybe post what you find out about the bike and maybe we can help on your decision.....

welcome to the forum.....

Welcome from Colorful Colorado.... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Since they didn't go to fuel injection untill about 87 or so you should be good to go on the years you are looking at.
Since these bikes are around 30 years old you'll need to do several things if you can't verify they have already been done like timing belts. Ther are very helpful tutorials in the maintenance section....

Welcome to the CGW forums, Cervantes!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I bought my '81 specifically so I would be able to actually work on it(if needed) myself. I didn't want a later model with fuel injection...I've got 4 cars now with FI, and one with a carb. The carbed car is the one that has always needed the least amount of work! :builder:
I didn't know a whole lot aboot bikes when I got the '81 'Wing, but I've learned a TON of neat stuff here, from guys(and some gals too!) that really know their stuff.
Whatever you wind up with, you'll have plenty of support here if it develops any troubles, or if ya just wanna know what the heck this or that part is! :mrgreen:

Thank you to all! This seems like a very welcoming group, and from looking around, I can see there is a LOT of great info here that I will need along the way! I enjoy tinkering, but having owned Alfa Romeos, I know that sometimes it is easy to get in over your head if you don't first check with someone who has been there. So this site will be WONDERFUL.

So now I am wondering. I know there is a definite Harley culture and... what is the word I am looking for. Among Harleys there is a definite sense of community. Though bikes like V-Stars have a definite following, I have never really sensed that "community" or culture. Now that I found this list, I am wondering if there is a GW "culture" out there (in the Harley sense) or am I just lucky to have found a great group. I hope that question makes sense.

Also, as I test these bikes, what forum should I ask my questions on? (Questions like, "this one owner tells me he burns oil if he goes over 75 or 80 MPH, but below that is fine. Should I be worried?) BTW, that is a real question I would like to ask, but I suspect that belongs in a different place, yes? no? I will nose around the site more later on this evening.

In the meantime, Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Thanks,
Cervantes AKA Jeffery

id say in the general discussion forum .....all new posts go to the veiw active topics anyway ....we have a few moderators who keep things strait for us ...no crime or scolding when a topic is misplaced.....there a learning curve here ......and me personaly i went strait into the woods .....it pretty much a joke around here ive been here since the begining .....i dont think you can take my crown at all..... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :cheeky: :mrgreen:

your going to see at least 100 harleys to every wing

general if you are trying to get info in one location.. after you decidethen use the specific model forum... I always veiw active topics rather then go looking in each forum.. that way I see all dicussions.. the 1000's have a points ignition, the 1100's are electronic ignition.. and after looking and listening to the owner.. ask him for the service history since owning the bike.. that will go a long way to making a good decision.. and take a few pics ( cell phone) and post them if you need opinions..

hello and welcome to CGWF cervantes, that '85 you test roed with no rear brakes has linked brakes so you were only using one front brake to stop 800 lbs of motorcycle.the brake lever works one front caliper, the pedal worke the other front caliper and the rear. i hate linked brakes

detdrbuzzard":8zwv2tbn said:
hello and welcome to CGWF cervantes, that '85 you test roed with no rear brakes has linked brakes so you were only using one front brake to stop 800 lbs of motorcycle.the brake lever works one front caliper, the pedal worke the other front caliper and the rear. i hate linked brakes
Whoa.....that is a good one to know! I think I will stick to my '82 with independant braking!

Jeffery, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

detdrbuzzard":24q9dquv said:
hello and welcome to CGWF cervantes,
Thank you!

detdrbuzzard":24q9dquv said:
that '85 you test roed with no rear brakes has linked brakes so you were only using one front brake to stop 800 lbs of motorcycle.the brake lever works one front caliper, the pedal worke the other front caliper and the rear. i hate linked brakes

Hmm. That may explain why it felt... kind of wobbly or something (I can't really explain it) when I would brake. At first I thought it was low tire pressure and then wondered about the front forks. I test rode another on Memorial Day, a 1983, and it also felt a bit... loose up front when I braked. I was beginning to wonder if it was just the feel of a Goldwing (I am used to a 300 lbs bike!) But as I look back, I was favoring the hand brake and maybe it was just the feeling of not braking properly! If it is not raining this afternoon I am going to look at two others. I will play with that a bit.

Someone mentioned the early bikes being a little tough to keep in a good state of tune. One I am looking at this afternoon is a 1975. It looks good, has all the luggage and such that I want. But the owner says that you have to rev it a bit when you come to a stop or else it will stall. I am thinking that is a tune up type of issue. I am curious to see how bad it is. I will keep ya-all posted.

Oh, one question. Is there a good source for things like the lids to a side bag on a 1979? The other one I am looking at today (weather permitting) looks good - but he did mention that the lid blew off of a side luggage thing (are they called sidebags when they are fiberglass?) and was promtply run over by a truck! As such, we have a compartment with no lid. Can those be had these days? Who should I call to check on a price?

Thanks everyone. I know my questions at this point are kind of random! But this really helps me sort things out as I look at these bikes. I would hate to be flying solo on this one, so thanks! :cool:

its not that 1000s are realy any different than other wings ...its that they have so much flexability in adjustment on timing that you can adjust yourself in a corner so to speak......trying to fix things that have nothing to do with where your ajusting

you may to research parters.. like bates used or mr motorcyclerecyle.. and others.. they would have pthe parts possibly on hand.. with Bates I got better results calling them.. have sent 4 emails various times.. and one response.. and when I neded a part in a hurry I called and got them and got the part ..... but they are real good on prices... both places above I have dealt with and Mr.Motorcyclerecycle

Mr Motorcycle Recycler
(3) Read Reviews | Write a Review
Richland Motorcycle Salvage has teamed up with Mr. Motorcycle Recycler to be your #1 Source for All of your motorcycle needs. 28th @ Beach, behind QT.
3804 NE 28th St, Haltom City, TX 76111
www.MrMotorcycleDFW.com
[email protected]
(817) 284-0807
(817) 284-1292 Fax

Has lots of goldwings available.. ( seen them )

https://www.batescycle.com/

1-800-822-1465

Latest posts