Hello From York, PA (Harley Country)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJSantos

Reaction score
Well after 30 years I’m getting back into motorcycles. My last one was a Honda 350. My uncle has given me his 83 Interstate, so if I may let me paint you a picture. He drove this bike into the garage put the kick stand down and covered it with a sheet. Now the garage is in New England about one mile from the Atlantic Ocean. Fast forward 19 years later, yes 19 years. November he say s take it it’s been in my way. Off comes the sheet and low and behold here’s this poor bike with 27K on the odometer, resting on paint can. The tires were going flat and he didn’t want it to fall over, hey it worked since it was on the side stand. So on to a trailer and down to Pennsylvania. After a power wash, the rain storm coming down barely cut through the grime, it was promising. Chrome had surface rust but the paint was in very good shape one scratch on the right saddle bag from a lawn mower in the garage. In all fairness Honda did some things very well for the year. The clear coat used on the aluminum held for the most part so there are pitted areas and of course corrosion from the salt air. Mainly on the valve covers but that can been stripped polished and recoated. So far it’s been stripped of her "bling" and the engine rotated by hand with wd40 in the cylinders. I installed a new battery and all of the lights, radio and the ignition system work. Test fired her with some gas down the air plenum. The tank emptied of old gas and rust, used the electrolysis method, looks like new. I responded to the thread on rust and gas tanks, has a url for info on the electrolysis process. When I completed the gas tank I did have her running for about a half an hour so the thermostat and cooling fan work. Carburetors are off for rebuilds this was a no brainer since uncle did not shut the gas off! NO amount of soaking will save two of the jets so new ones will be installed. The antifreeze was still in the overflow when I checked which means no internal leaks or massive internal corrosion. Timing belts are on order. I’ll clean and repolish the timing covers when I pull the radiator for the belts and also install a new thermostat and check the water pump. I believe the engine will be fine. Then it will be the brake systems. The front one works but back is no go. Looking at the reservoirs the fluid is black from all of the moisture, total rebuild in order. The front forks will have new seals, of course they leak but they held air long enough to get it on and off the trailer. Last but not least tires. With Antique Plate she’ll be showing her fanny off to the Harleys here in York, PA. Between the forum and Goldwingdocs.com your experiences will come into play with this endeavor so please stand by and I hope to be able to contribute all kind s of "How Tos" as I go along. Thanks to goldwingdocs.com I did get the manuals downloaded before Honda put the stops to it. I believe that these machines should get their ( Honda’s ) full support so that we can keep these old girls on the road. Oh I close this with when I get done my wife is looking at uncles other bike a V45, it’s only been sitting for 5 years and she wants it.

Welcome to the CGW forums, MJSantos!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

MJsantos, Welcome from New Jersey! We are not that far apart (about 2 hrs from me). It seems that you have a pretty good grip on getting her back in shape. If you get stumped, do not hesitate to ask here!

Gerry
:clapping:

Welcome from North TEXAS.... glad you have found this site and info was helpful to you.. as for the V45 I had an 84 700 that I rode daily and an 82 parts bike... the only real difference was the engine size by a little and the 84 had a 2 piece seat where the 82 was a onepiecer.. I do have the rims from the 84 and need to move em out.. they were slightly diffrent than the 82's which i put new tires on and used them on the 84.. loved the bike but got back on it after the goldwing and it felt like a tricycle with the riding position in comparison to the wing..

Latest posts