Here I go again - New Project!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRepoGuy

Reaction score
Here we go again - this time with a totally different bike than what I’ve previously had!

I picked up two yesterday - another 1985 Aspy and a 1982 Interstate; the Interstate is the topic of discussion at the moment.

This bike has sat for a Looooooooooooong time! The motor spins over by hand though so I’m pretty confident it’ll be alright and the oil doesn’t look bad at all though it’ll be changed before I even start tearing into it.

SO - Here it goes! First question -

We know for sure the fuel pump is bad and needs to be replaced. So that’s one part of this. Is there a better upgrade rather than using a stock mechanical pump out there??

Here she is - in all the glory with more lights on it than I know what to do with [emoji15]
Nate
59076242d02b46aa406d751eaa2bcb45.jpg
b36ccf0035d227c416cd1ee458b1af5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike ...the pump ? Is a very equal issue ...my opinion would be to stay with manual pump if stock carbs are used and so tach works ...if you can find a good one or new is available ..if not there are electric ones out there to use 2to4 pounds pressure...but I’d stay stock if I was you

Hi Nate! Clean the stock fuel pump, it might not be as bad as you think. Otherwise, replace it with stock pump & avoid making more headaches for yourself until it is roadworthy. Fuel tank may need flushing and petcock servicing. The proliferation of add-on lights makes me concerned for the alternator, but that can wait, hopefully. If it will run after an oil change, overhaul all the brake calipers and master cylinders before going on the road, you might live longer, lol! Almost certainly need new front fork seals and springs, and the rear will likely need the same. All of that should be within your abilities at home in your shop/garage. Considering the nightmare of the GL1200 you last had, this bike should be a bit more manageable!

GTC@MSAC":ciqvwdu1 said:
Considering the nightmare of the GL1200 you last had, this bike should be a bit more manageable!

WELL...now that you mention it [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
I finally did get the 1985 Interstate that was my complete problem child to run and it’s doing very well. It’s on point for a Darkside upgrade here in a few too

With this 1100 came another 1200 and a sister bike to my Interstate; even in blue though the Marlin blue ha! A 1985 Aspy that needs the poor boy done on it because the stator is DOA. The PO gave me a brand new alternator and the pulley to go with it but I haven’t had the time to sit down and really read about what all goes into the poor boy system. Still have to build a bracket and all that other jazz before I even get to install it. Then replace the handlebars and a few other things [emoji2357][emoji2357][emoji2357][emoji2357]
efc8d609176ef72a02a623838a0bae0f.jpg

dan filipi":1a0pe2xe said:
What is this? It looks like some sort of air deflector but appears damaged bent out of shape?

It is just that, some kind of air deflector and it’s completely bent out of shape - the entire bike has more chrome on it than I’ve ever seen on one of these bikes!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215171#p215171:2pm96jaw said:
dan filipi » 29 Dec 2019, 11:41[/url]":2pm96jaw]
What is this? It looks like some sort of air deflector but appears damaged bent out of shape?

file.php
Air scoop with fog lights no less? Add-on junk you don't need or want, lol!

desertrefugee":2p2nw61v said:
I did a Poorboy conversion to an '84. Not too tough, but a solid weekend of fettling - even WITH the kit.

I only need to fabricate the bracket I think and get a different pulley. The one the PO gave me doesn’t look like it’s the right one at all

I shall follow your rebuild thread with alacrity.

Firstly: Because as with all the others here I wish you the best of luck and really want to see you succeed in your venture.

Secondly: To let you know that there's a world of advice out there if you only ask, of which I am a huge and grateful recipient.

Thirdly: And you might need this? Misery loves company!

chilidawg":2ee227sg said:
Thirdly: And you might need this? Misery loves company!

I prefer the term Glutton for Punishment [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Nate

Latest posts