hi from new orleans

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ther are quite a few tips on this, its been so long since ive done it ill let some others with more recent experiences chime in .

whats the deal dose it run bad

welcome from the backwoods of southern indiana

welcome jedinite from the central wisconsin..... Hope you we enjoy this group of guys as much as i have ... they are very helpful and i think you find any answers your lookin for and some your not here HAHA.... Have a great day send some pictures of your ride we like pictures here......

Hello jedinite,

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few excellent tutorials on carbs, you'll find links and pictures from this site.
also I'm sure most of us recommend checking out Randakks for carb kits... and rebuild info!
I made an order and added 1 wrong part. Mr.Randakk actually took the time to check with me and make sure I had all the correct parts. and corrected the order before promptly shipping it out to me.
Hard to find service like that these days...

BTW. just did full rebuild on my carbs, worth every bit!

thanks guys. heres the deal, i got the wing for from a police man, for parts. controls,handlebars,etc. for my bobber im building. well i get to the bike and it looks great. someone removed tank cover, all trunks and side covers and seat. no biggie. i get home and gas is still in it. he said it run a couple years ago,yada-yada. i hooked a jump pak to it and it fired up!!!!!!! my plans changed for the ol wing after that. upon more looking, i determined that the 29000 on the od. is real. every thing is working and looks excellent. i tried to start again after fresh gas and it tried to start but flooded. i took filter out and the box had fuel in it. it still smelled old too. anyway i havent done anything else. i kinda figured the carbs should be first,however im new to a wing,though ive worked on and owned several bikes.

think I'd siphon gas out of the tank, and put some fresh premium in it...
dont worry about a small amount in the air beather just sop it up, and try to keep her dry as possible...
you might find fresh gas and new plugs will get it going enough to give you a good idea of the working bike.
and give you a chance to find any other problems before going to the expense of carb rebuilds...
also, make sure its got good oil in it before running for more than a few seconds
haveta look through the small window down on the side of the bike.

fired up and ran??? run seafoam in the gas for a few tanks... just to clear the varnish.. and then see how it runs.. 1/3 to 1/2 can for the first 3-4 tankfuls..

it fired up and ran for a couple of minutes. not running beautiful but running with a little throttle and playing with the choke. i will drain all fuel tonite and see what happens with fresh gas. will post pics also

its on the way back, the 83 is a nice bike built for the hiway , seafoam a great start, plugs and wires would be good, and maybe rotating the plugs after a tankful or two to indicate whats going on in each cylinder , rotate plugs only when cold. there may be problems with the ignition oh plug ends sould be changed to. once those things are out of the way figuring out whats going on is easier . check the inside of the gas tank for rust and stuff.

sounds to me like you got good wing just waiting for the right TLC for many more miles

Latest posts