How to pick up a GoldWing...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes after riding for 8 hours in 90 degree temps, the bike is just as tired as the rider is and just needs to take a break as well. The bike gets to rest in the shade while the rider gets a power aide and a Snickers, and the riding companion gets a chocolate ice cream sandwich. :smilie_happy:

It just helps to know how to get these things back up, and it also helps to have crash bars front and rear.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93798#p93798:s2r7yg4s said:
Ansimp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:55 am[/url]":s2r7yg4s]
Luckily it was only South bound traffic while I was performing my sleeping Goldwing trick. :yes:

Even more lucky is the fact that no-one that saw you, KNOWS you!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
I've laid mine down in the yard a couple of times...usually right up against one of the cars, or my 'Burban.... :sensored: That makes it really hard to get back up! And I usually have the whole neighborhood as witnesses.... :blush:

A couple months ago I was putting my 77 wing under the car port after getting home from a car and bike show in Guyandotte, in Huntington WV . I had the gate open and drove it in, shut the motor off, took helmet and gloves off, put it on the side stand and turned away to get the cover. All of a sudden I was struck in the back of the but and leggs. It sent me for a foll ovet a John Deer and a golf cart I struck the J D on my left ribbs fracturing 2 of them on my way to the ground. After catching my breath I got up and saw what hit me. The poor thing was lying on its L side. The case proctectar foot rest and the bags was the only thing holding it up.The only way I had to pick it up was to grab the handle bars and the frame in front of the bag. BOY WAS I HURTING. I had the hardest time . I put my nees under the tank side cover and lifted bracing with my nee and going up a little at a time. I finally got it up enough that I could put the side stand down, almost going a little bit too far. I still have sore ribs when I turn a certain way. :moped: :moped:

Hey Brian Im 74 and I know what you are talking about when you say you are tired . When I get to take a ride I get really tired when I get off the bike ,and sometimes I dont really want to get back on to finiah the ride. When I went to California in 77 I thought nothing of riding 6 or 7 hundred miles a day. On one day we rode 900 miles and that was from tank to tank The one Yamahaw 650 that was with us ran out faster than I did with my wing :moped: :moped: :heat:

I have bad/ crooked spine and one artificial hip. This way is difficult for me. I have better luck getting the bike up to where both knees and part of the thighs are under the bike, then I "walk it up" a little with the right leg, then left and so on. Towards the end your arms have to take over. This way puts the load on your lower legs only, none on your back. Last year I stalled it in some landscaping rocks. Serves me right for not letting it warm up. It was also up hill. It dumped onto the downhill slope. That was a bugger as it was tipped down about 120 degrees, still I got it back up. In hindsight, I should have rotated the bike before lifting. This way might be harder if you have bad knees.

I would have never shot it I love my Wing too much for that. Like I have said before, I have had it since new and I want to keep it for as long as I can. I know it wil be in good hands when I pas away cause I am willing it to my son in florida who takes care of his favorite things too. Because of my BAD knees I have purchased a 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate TRIKE.

I had 2 old men help me pick mine up once when I was up in Paridice. I THOUGHT THEY WERE ANGLES AT THAT TIME. ALSO ONCE AN OLD LADY HELPED ME. I think I have been gitting more time on my crash bars the on the wheels. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I . Myself have ben out riding with a couple guys and came to a red light and was talking to them about something and forgot to put my feet down.It was like seeing a monkey on a tri cycle fall over with the trike and me together as one.Like something you would see in a cartoon. FUNNY but EMBARISING. One time it took 4 guys to get the bike off of meat an intersection,STOPPED trafic both ways. Needles to say we left that intersection in a hurry. :moped: :moped: :moped: :oops:

Latest posts