How to refinish the plastic??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1983 Aspencade that has serious blistering on the flat surfaces of the center luggage bin and the tops of both of the side bins. The sides of the bins are fine. I have sanded down one of the small tops and tried painting but I'm not getting good results. I have done similar repaints with metal but this is my first time with plastic and it could be just me but it seems to behave differently. I know there is a lot of information at various places on this site but I haven't been able to find a step-by-step discribing how to repaint these pieces. Does such a guide exist and if not could some offer some tips? Thanks.

Powdercoating is not an option on plastics. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Seriously though you will need a good primer and primer filler to prep the pieces for good paint results.

As a first step before ANY paint or primer, you'll need an adhesion promoter on ABS and most other plastics. Unless you want to do this a lot in the future, your best bet is to send the plastics out to be painted. By the time you invest in the gear to do base/clear finishes (unless you already have it), you're way ahead to have them done.

Sand, prime, sand, paint,sand clear, sand again, clear again! Hand rub. Wax. Repeat if you want to change the look! :smilie_happy:
IMG_00000141.jpg

riff raff":3fsu9o1h said:
Sand, prime, sand, paint,sand clear, sand again, clear again! Hand rub. Wax. Repeat if you want to change the look! :smilie_happy:
Nice looking ride!

I'm on the "repeat" part so the wing will be Sparklesent mango orange with sparklesent rockstar red accents for next season. Just have the shelter and the rear fender to do! :good:
IMG_00000209.jpg

riff raff":2okx2cxa said:
I'm on the "repeat" part so the wing will be Sparklesent mango orange with sparklesent rockstar red accents for next season. Just have the shelter and the rear fender to do! :good:
I like it alot! Doing plastic preps on he shaved emblems here. And getting some bits re chromed.