Howdy from Minnesota, USA!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New member of this forum. Also a member of the Honda Goldwing Owners Forum (GWOF). Just barely made the cut with my '83 GL1100 named "Bobo." (southern speak, an affectionate nickname for guys named Robert or Bob. Used to live in North Carolina and Florida.

I look forward to learning much from all of you and to having some fun together. Current situation is that Bobo's carbs are fully cleaned/rebuilt, located a valve cover bolt yesterday to replace the one that snapped off :crying: so valve covers are back on as well as timing belt covers after fresh belts. Should have him together enough to try to fire within the week. If he fires and sounds decent, I'll pay even more attention to him, and even spend a few bucks on things like valve cover gaskets, etc.

PO (previous owner) reported that he smoked alot before he parked him 10 years ago (and left the fuel in the tank, worst smelling gas ever.) Well, when I did the timing belts I discovered that the right tensioner had loosened and the belt had skipped a tooth! If that wasn't enough, the carbs were the worst I've ever rebuilt, and resulted in crankcase oil that smelled more like gas than oil (bad needle valves.) In short, he was a "hot mess." And yet, for some reason, I believe that he will run well after re-assembly and carb synchronization (already adjusted the intake/exhaust valves and they needed it.) We'll see... Anyway, happy to have found y'all! :cool:

Hello and welcome to CGW, bobo, from backlander in south Arkansas. Sounds like you got everything under control bringing one these back to life. Good luck with your project.

welcome to classic ...hope the lower end is good tight ...with the carbs leaking thing ,,,maybe it all leaked in during storage .......sounds like its ready to fire ....make its good and free by hand turning on crank bolt and go for it...if there spark it sould run ...id take the plugs out and turn by hand first to feel fo any roughness amd to pump gas to carbs with kill switch off and then try

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bobo!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank y'all for the warm welcome! Good to be aboard!

Soon, I should have the photo posting thing figured out. Got some into my gallery, but haven't figured out how to make it work inserting them into a signature, the banner, or in a posting. We'll get there! :head bang: