• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I need a good used or preferably new rear master cylinder for an 83

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I rebuilt it best I could with a rebuild kit but as I suspected the cylinder chewed up the seal and it's leaking past again.

Honda say's new are discontinued :evil: so I'm searching for a very good used one but would rather have new but that might be dreaming.

I have a call out to Susie, she just replaced her's on her 1200 which ARE available new.
Question is will a 1200 rear MC fit an 1100.

Does anyone know if a different model will fit or maybe an aftermarket unit, crossover from a different bike??

id say it would work fine on your 83 1100 with linked brakes ...oviously it wont bolt up probably seeimg they dont sale it but sale the 1200 ....id say the capasity is probably close as the braking systems are in 83 linked brakes and 1200s ...but its an unknown till its try ...time to walk the plank dan and try it :headscratch: :builder: :Doh2: :rtfm: :whip: :hihihi:

Update:

I found and ordered a NEW rear mc from Cycle Parts Nation
I think this is an aftermarket parts supplier, not sure.

Will post if I get advised its unavailable.

Cost was $98 shipped for "sub assembly, (rear) M/C".
Don't know if that includes the piston and seals complete but its listed as group number 6 on the parts fiche.
Sure would be cool if its complete at this price. I'd be happy if its just the housing. I can use the other parts from my old mc.

image.php

It would be way cool if all the parts they list ARE in fact available.
They even list rings and main bearings which are VERY hard to find.
Hoping it's not the case where you order then find out 2 weeks later it's unavailable.

Maybe someone with a machine shop will start sleeving these. Bore them out, and press a stainless steel sleeve in them. Might be a good business, if the price was right.

pretty tough to do that and be cost effective - more likely find a similar current unit and adapt it

You may already know but in case you don't the Product code number for oem rear master cylinder are
80-81 gl1100 is 463
82-83 gl1100 is MB9
84-85 gl1200 is MG9
86-87 gl1200 is ML8
"Normaly" if the part has this same PCN it will interchange. From looking at the pictures the 1100 and 1200 are made different but probably could be adapted. I couldn't figure it out, but if you can go to servicehonda.com they list every oem # for every model honda and if you can get into the advance lookup if tells you what model interchanges with other models. Hope it may help you get your ride going

Dan,

I was about to make the same post (looking for a rear master cylinder)...But apparently, I'll have no luck. For someone with LIMITED mechanical knowledge, how hard is it to rebuild with a kit? I've actually been toying with the idea of selling my 83 1100 and moving up to a 1500 (gotta love the reverse), but if a brake rebuild kit would work, it would certainly be much cheaper....

A good cleaning and a rebuild kit might work out just fine for you.
Mine is a bit corroded so I want to replace it but it's looking like that's not going to happen with an original.

RckRagman":2xwtlsd9 said:
Dan,

I was about to make the same post (looking for a rear master cylinder)...But apparently, I'll have no luck. For someone with LIMITED mechanical knowledge, how hard is it to rebuild with a kit? I've actually been toying with the idea of selling my 83 1100 and moving up to a 1500 (gotta love the reverse), but if a brake rebuild kit would work, it would certainly be much cheaper....
The kits are easy to use. I takes about an hour from the time the MC is off the bike until you are ready to put it back on.

The kits are easy to use. I takes about an hour from the time the MC is off the bike until you are ready to put it back on.[/quote]

Ok...and just how long does it take to get the MC off and back on??? And what has to come off to let me get to the MC to take it off? LOL....Like I said, L-I-M-I-T-E-D mechanical knowledge.....

Dan; i have the same problem as you with the M/c The motorcycle shop charged me 85 bucks and the "rebuild" did not take.
Have you found the one to replace what we cant get??
Please let me know, maybe i will copy on that.
Thank you.

G George

Attachments

• bike 021.JPG
    bike 021.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 148
80-1 should bolt up but was a single piston setup,

82 appears to have the same body (from the above info), the 83 having an external and separate splitter, pretty sure they have diff part #s, could be the internals are diff (size maybe) due to linked vs non linked setups

84 and up have a built into the MC splitter with diff mount points, the adjuster is also waaay longer

some have claimed the earlier 79 and prior will bolt up and work, but no one has confirmed it, the main issue being will there be room for the reservoir that is built in, might be a clearance issue for the fuel tank only, but, haven't heard any more about it..

if required, might be able to drill and tap it modding it for an external reservoir, the brake connection is also diff at the outlet (bolt in fitting at the end of a rubber line vs a bolt/screw in steel line), would have to make up a brake line for that

80 and up have a remote reservoir

i've seen a used one (82) for ~ 250 smackarroos a few wks ago and would have to look into it again

if need be, prob wouldn't be a big deal going non linked

another option would be modding a forward control that can come with their own MC

I talked to a salvage guy today who said"those are rare,hard to find parts"
He then told me 350.00 exchange for a mster cyl, and 295.00 for an ignition switch.
Saw another Master c for 250.00 and it looked pretty rough.

I think i am going to have to "Frank" one in.
I really dislike the thought...

On a 84 master there are two brake lines vs one line on 83.
Can one of those lines be blocked off, or should they be linked then fed to the one line.
G George

Latest posts