• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ignition system with distributer cap GOLD WING GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moliekoot

Reaction score
Hi Wingers, just new on this site, but I am looking for the following Wing old school stuff.

All Custom Dressers chrome plated stuff like the louver ventilated slkotted holes stuff.

An ignition system manufactured in the late 78 / 79.
This set ( I believe it is called Maxi Dwell) is a single point & coil operated ignition system.
This device was also provided with a vertical installed distributer cap placed on the ignition housing.
The stock hosing cover was not needed after installation. This conversion kit created a great 500 RPM
idle and fired right up very smooth after trottle it all.
I look forward to see your help.

I am also looking for any information of a BLAKE turbine compressor kit.
All manuals or even experience are more than welcome.

I do have a lot of GL 1000 1978 & 1979 parts, so if I can be of any help, just hauler.

Many thanks in advance

Moliekoot
Amsterdam
Holland.

Welcome aboard. The closest ignition to that I recall for the time was a magneto set up. If you find either I'm interested. Many of the custom bodywork "How To" books have excellent instructions in making louvers.

Attachments

• gl1000distributor.png
    gl1000distributor.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 173
Not too happy with the idea of lowering the idle to 500rpm. Don`t forget this reduces oil pressure since oil pump is driven at engine speed.
A distributor only needs a single coil and unless you choose wisely the points dwell could be detrimental. These engines were designed with two twin output units in mind.
Looking at this kit ( post #5 ) I think it might obstruct your feet compared to a standard points housing.
:moped: :deadhorse:
Just a thought - hope it helps.

HOLY WHAT DO YOU CALL IT (I do speak English, but sometuimes I do forget some words though) :head bang:

Folks you make ma happy as a P.I.S. I already contacted the seller.
About the oil REF, you are right, but cracking up from idle 500 REV's to move is very smooth.
After all I am talking abouty a Wing with a nice and gentle biker behaviour.
Not about a LKaverda 1200 Jota, or a MV-Agusta, or even a Ducati running like nuts on the Geman Autobahn
With an easy 145 x MPH (and within the local law. Great (sometimes) and than Mr. Smokey Bear comes a long and just say Howdy.
Now the law did made same changes though, but there is still a lot of Germand Autobahn in order to fly.
But not with a Wing. You guys have any experience doing 120 MPH on tghe freeway?

Anyway THANK YOU GUYS SO MATCH.

Snow greating form Amsterdam.

Moliekoot (Cees) :thanks:

I do know that alright. Worked back in 1985 in Rockville MD for AMF, Smokey Bear got me when I was on the I 95 to Norfolk and to a Gold WIng meeting in Hampton VA. Winging is great but doing 90 MP/H as a maximum cruise speed is just nice, especially with a fine big sigar.
I will send you guys some picture, but on a later stage.

Drive Safe.

There is a build at NGW where they used a distributor on a supercharged mod. They had difficulty timing it, but this was a radical build shooting for 200+ mph. I think the build was called the saltflats project. Lots of pages, but a good read.