Introduction and question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davethemotorhead

Reaction score
Hello, I am a forum newbie and found classic goldwings while searching for info for my 87 GL 1200 interstate. The bike had a number of issues when it was purchased last year. And most issues have been resolved and the bike is running mush better. What I am trying to solve now is poor power and acceleration at highway speed (65 and above) and/or climing an incline. I have read that the 1200"s like higher RPM and on your typical 2 lane, if you drop it to 4th it takes off. But if your at highway speed on an incline and roll the throttle it stumbles as if it is not in time. I've come across posts on checking ignition and timing components and have started this process. I checked the gearshift selector sensor by unpluging the sensor wire below the instrument panel and checking continuity through the Sensor plug side Lg/R neutral, R/W 4th gear and G/O overdrive wires. All tested fine which brings me to my questions. 1st on the wiring harness side of the connection what wires carry current? 2nd how does the shift sensor send the electric signal to the ignition contol unit? For reference I have power from the wireing harness plug in the Lg/r (N) and G/O (od) wires. There is no power in theR/W (4th) when the ignition is turne on.
Thanks for any help!!!!

there's an electrical troubleshooting manual in our gallery for the 86 model and I'm pretty sure it would be the same or close for the 87 model. Under the ignition section, page 142 is the power schematic for the gear sensor and page 144 tells how to troubleshoot the sensor. From your description it sounds like you may have a vacuum leak from the carbs to the sensor in the ECM. The 1200's have electronic advance in first thru third gear and switch to vacuum advance for fourth thru fifth gear. I'd check the vacuum lines carefully, I found mine to be cracked in several places. Hope this might help.

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

Thanks everyone for the welcome & replies. Update on my bike: my brother-in-law & I discovered the bike was only running on 3 cyclinders. This was due to the 2nd carb not getting any fuel. We had cleaned & rebuilt the carbs earlier; the cleaner we used left a film on the float needle which dried & prevented the needle from opening & closing. Lesson we learned: when you clean & rebuild your carbs, make sure you dump in some fuel by hand & open the bouldering screws to make sure the carbs are working before installing in the bike. Thanks to the guys who posted the manuals in the gallery - they were a great help!

Latest posts