Introduction and question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancek

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have been a rider for over forty years, starting with small off road bikes in the 70's while helping round up cattle on a Montana ranch. I have owned a 1979 Kawasaki 750 2 cylinder and a 1984 Suzuki GS750ES. I know... The '84 wasn't imported to the US that year. It came from Germany via Guam with my little brother. He gave it to me for taking care of his bike (another Suzuki 750) while he was overseas with his Air Force wife.

My current machine is a 1977 GL1000. It came to me via my brother-in-law who called me one day, out of the blue, to ask me if I wanted a Gold Wing. I immediately started to drool as the father of a former girlfriend had let me ride his. I had to tell him that, unfortunately I didn't have the money to buy one at the time. He said, "No. You don't understand." His brother-in-law was in the process of going through a divorce and wanted to give it away to a good home. I was at the brother-in-law's house before the phone was back in the cradle....

Enough about me. Now for the question. The kids are both grown and the wife has gone her way, too. I have a little time on my hands and would like to get to work on the bike and get her back on the road. She has a Cycle Innovations single carb conversion kit on that was the first money I spent on it after tires. It ran right after I installed it, but it has been sitting for a number of years, due to the fact that the title was misplaced and I couldn't license it. Now that the title has been found, the old girl won't start. I know it isn't of the years that this site deals with, but I was hoping that there would be enough similarities to the bikes that this site is dedicated to that I could get some good advice about getting her up and running and going down the road again. I was thinking about a carb cleaning for the first thing, but don't know about what else I should look into. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Vance

:thanks:

Hello Vance and welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

We have plenty of Members with experience on 1000's! They will be along shortly! :popcorn:

Howdy Vance and welcome to CGW. The 77 1000 is definitely covered very well on this site and there are many people here with a lot of experience with them that will come along in a little while to answer any questions you may have. Happy Wrenching.

welcome to the best site around for gw know how. welcome from tn. mot trying to be smart but did you check the gas? and make sure your kill switch is on. i know it sounds dumb but little things get over looked some times worring that it's something mager welcome from tenn.

Welcome to Classics.... Are you saying that a 77 isn't Classic enough? :smilie_happy:

I double what mwbill said - never overlook the simple things. They are the things that will bite you and make you beat your head against the wall. If the kill switch is on and the fuel shutoff is on, is it getting any spark? If the plugs are sparking, did you clean out the fuel in the carb? If it sat for a few years, it could be that the fuel in the carb is bad and the motor will not light of because of it.

Welcome from Southern California! A fuel system cleanout, tune-up and oil change should get her running, but you should strongly consider replacing the timing belts before running. Enjoy the experience!

Yep! Welcome back to the fun. We gotcha covered here. +1 on on cleaning the carb, checking the switches and fuel valve, And changing the timing belts but leave those for last.Check for spark. Check the plugs or better replace them. Are you running points ignition still? If so check them over real well. I just had to redo the points on my KZ because they'd corroded badly sitting for a year. Look over the mechanical advance and be sure the weights aren't rusted and it moves to advance the cam lobe. That should be a good start. If still no joy. There's more to check.

Wisconsin says hello.

The guys have it all covered. Spark? check....Fuel? check.....Airbox has no mice? check....

Spend a bit of time inspecting your carburetor pilot jet because its the smallest hole and easily clogged. Also might want to bench test your needle/seat so the carb doesn't overflow or worse yet, run out of fuel while you are in traffic.

I'd personally get it running nice and then install new tires, tubes, and rim bands to avoid a trip to the emergency room.
The second item would be brake fluid flushing....AFTER you know it runs good of course.

Welcome aboard, you are among friends! :salute:

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

If it were me and the bike had just been sitting I would sqirt a little fuel down the carb throat and see if it fires, that will eliminate any question of ignition trouble. You might want to change the belts before hand, last thing you want is a belt to break.
Another thing I hear is that guys complaining about their carb conversions, some of the things I have heard they had to do was leave the gas cap loose, not sure why but I was looking up cycle inovations carb conversions and this came up allot.
Secondly I dont know if the stock fuel pump can handle the demands of a high mounted carb that is more suited for an automobile`s fuel system, may be just fine but I have my doubts about fuel deliver with the stock pump.
If it fires up with a little fuel juice I would next try to fill the fuel bowl on the carb by dissconection the fuel line and hooking up 3 feet of fuel line with a funnel and try filling the carb bowl manually using gravity , just be carefull spilling fuel and clean up any spilled right away. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and as soon as the funnel is full take and pinch the fuel line close to the carb and pull it loose the move the line over too a jar or other container and let loose the pliers and drain the remaining fuel into the container.

Thanks for all of the replies. I know that I do have spark as the bike will start when starting fluid is sprayed in to the carb. That is what made me suspect either a clogged jet or bad fuel delivery. I need to get the bike out of storage and bring it a little closer to me so I can work on it regularly. The timing belts were replaced when I first got the bike and have maybe five miles on them. Will start digging in to things here, shortly.

:thanks:

Latest posts