Krazy's GL1100 A Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
That sux a fat one... :rant:
Bet she was texting, or otherwise occupied with a phone. :rant:

Sure glad that you escaped any major bodily damage....that's the most important thing!! Good Luck with getting her to pay up.....fingers crossed. :yes:

I like the coulor too brother, it stands out but not in a look at that thing way! Iwould have gladly used it for my bike if I ever could have thought of it!

Sorry no new pics, but did get a chance to tear the old girl apart. The frame is pretty badly trashed, and the rear rim is bent and broke. The swingarm is bent, and I don't know what else. We have to do some frame straightening just to remove the fuel tank so we can get a closer look. Almost had to do some straightening just to get the swingarm out.

The guy I have do my metal work is a master, and says he can fix it. Or he can build me a trike, or I can just part it out. I have yet to decide what to do....

I don't really like the idea of not leaning, so a fixed axle trike is out, and if I do a trike, it would be a leaning trike, with independent suspension. We estimated (roughly) that the mechanical parts of the trike would cost me $500. This is without body work, or luggage, and with basic lighting (turn, brake, tail, but nothing special).

If I repair it my basic parts list, comes to about $300 with mostly ebay parts, and that doesn't include the broken luggage either, but enough to get me on the road.

Or I can part it out... I'm not sure what I would get for the good parts, or what I could sell it for as-is... But any money would go towards getting a new bike, I really think it would be nice to get a GL1500, but I don't know if I could find one in my price range. (almost no money)

I will try to grab some pics today, or tomorrow.

There is a new oil leak from the accident, and my stator needed work before (was planning on fixing the stator but didn't get it done before the accident). The bike ran good, and I really want to fix it. I just don't know if I should bother... The prices above don't include anything for labor, and I doubt my friend will charge me, but I will throw him some money or labor later on one of his projects if I have him do the work.

So what should I do? Or what would you do? I thoroughly trust the work my metal working friend does, and if I have him fix the frame, or make a trike, I would expect the quality to be as good or better than the original motorcycle.

My biggest issue now is my non-existent budget, so if any of you have any leads on cheap parts (or hopefully a non-runner parts bike cheap) I would be forever grateful.

I vote fix it. A 1200 swingarm can be fitted with a 1500 drive, wheel and brake caliper mount. You need the 1200 driveshaft too.