marvel mystery oil in crankcase

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
anyone use marvel mystery oil as an oil additive and if so any problems with wet clutch?
thanks for your experiences and advice.
dave

I ran it as a kind of flush for about 1,000 miles, didn't have any effect on the clutch during that time. Felt good with no slippage or choppiness, I used about 1/2 quart Initially after 1 K changed it again and used about 8Oz for 1K then changed it again with strait oil.
Bike sat 23 years so I wanted some kind of detergent in there.

Marvel mystery oil.. was used by mechanics for years oil, gas ... no issues... ex f-n-l used it as a gm mechanic and personally also... not sure about the wet clutch though

I'm not big on motor flushes of any kind.
I feel it breaks up gunk so it can circulate when otherwise wasn't hurting anything.
Left over thinking from my Chevy v8 days and maybe old fashioned thinking.

I understand Dan... I need to replace s head on my Tahoe... but mileage is 230k and mechanic was concerned about blowing out the main/rod bearings...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124771#p124771:150jecg6 said:
dan filipi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:03 pm[/url]":150jecg6]
I'm not big on motor flushes of any kind.
I feel it breaks up gunk so it can circulate when otherwise wasn't hurting anything.
Left over thinking from my Chevy v8 days and maybe old fashioned thinking.
Oh My!..Do you remember taking the cover off an old 327 and seeing caked on sludge..Man!..Those were the days, It has been a long time since I have seen that, must be better oil control on newer motors, maybe better oil?.

My first reaction to your post Steve83, was that the old cars were vented to the atmosphere anyways, but I guess when you think about it, having a little suction would help clear the gases. I say this because lots of folks remove the hose to the air cleaner to keep from pulling the gunk into the air filter. I have mine removed. A different source of vacuum would be nice.

I have used MMO as a flush, but only a hundred miles or so, and no hot rodding. The added benefits to keeping the stator clean are biggest in my mind.

Don't worry about the stator as it doesn't need clean oil for anything. It is all those other rotating parts that need clean oil especially the 2 oil pumps! :yes:

When you see the black buildup on a failed stator, where does it come from? Maybe slothful oil changes, but more likely heat from the windings. If sludge builds up on the windings, it acts as an insulator, and more heat is kept in the windings, ultimately leading to its demise. I am a believer in the flush as a prophylactic measure. I get the gist of this from Randakk.

Latest posts