mechanical help with oil in my radiator fluid

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim rutherford

Reaction score
im looking for diagnosis on a 82 gl 1100 aspencade with oil in the radiator fluid. what mechanical steps do i need to perform to sort this out. ?? thankyou much tim rutherford denver colorado. phone 7204348922

While at idle see if the coolant reservoir is bubbling. If it is it might be the head gasket. If not it might be the water pump seal. Do you have any smoke from the exhaust? If so does it smell sweet? Welcome to the forums.

welcome to classic ....yes if you can strip down to the radiator cap id run it with cap off on the centerstand ,,,,,probably water pump bad ...take the bottom radiator hose and cover loose from water pump let it drain into something and wiggle pump impeller shaft after its drained im sure its wobbles if so that's what you need I bet and reason fro oil in radidator

Welcome to Classics Tim!

if it is the water pump, no need to worry, there is a lot of info here to help with changing it and freshening up the front side of the engine in the process.

Hi Tim, and welcome from Southern California! +1 on the water pump as the most likely cause. A bad head gasket is also possible, but that usually causes coolant in the oil.

If your overflow bottle, and radiator cap look like this...it's the water pump....slight chance it could be a head gasket, but 99.9% chance it's the watering pump....

wow. thanx to you all who posted answers on my question about oil in the radiator fluid. i really appreciate the help and pictures geez. thanx much

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94239#p94239:276ie07w said:
toytender01 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 am[/url]":276ie07w]
Ansmip if you have the time you reely should see Sheeals in Sparks or Cabelas at Boomtown,they are both great places....take your camre!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice Bob. As you may of gathered it is another mad Aussie world wind tour and we arrived in Vegas last night. We are going to spend more time here due to a crew(wife and daughter) mutiny and I am cancelling the accommodation booked in San Diego for the weekend. Hopefully I will catch up with O ( Randy) while I am here.

Latest posts