MUFFLER GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Well I am getting pretty close on my 77 and one of the to do tasks was to install the exhaust. I knew the header tips were rusted out and the P.O. had done an awful rig up patch job. I bought and refinished a good set of used headers and installed them. So I go to install the big horseshoe style muffler and get another delay and surprise. Being my first GL 1000 muffler I didn't notice the split reducer connectors were gone because they were broken off smooth on the muffler openers and one was missing. So now I can't Mitasize it, bummer. Guess I'll have to go aftermarket, grr. :head bang:

This is broken off on one and the other is gone.

Here and here

If you want to use the original muffler and are good with a wire welder, go to O'Reilly's Auto parts and buy an exhaust pipe connector for a few dollars. Make sure you get one the same diameter as the rusted off part. I used O'Reilly part number 548519 to repair a Gl1200 header pipe. It is long enough to be cut in half and repair both sides. :builder:

Unless you want an exhaust leak, use new muffler gaskets (Honda P/N 18392-MK5-000, $13.57 each) which are still available.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160805#p160805:2gwmu039 said:
PurpleGL1200I » 28 minutes ago[/url]":2gwmu039]
If you want to use the original muffler and are good with a wire welder, go to O'Reilly's Auto parts and buy an exhaust pipe connector for a few dollars. Make sure you get one the same diameter as the rusted off part. I used O'Reilly part number 548519 to repair a Gl1200 header pipe. It is long enough to be cut in half and repair both sides. :builder:

Unless you want an exhaust leak, use new muffler gaskets (Honda P/N 18392-MK5-000, $13.57 each) which are still available.

Yeah I considered getting some reducers and refabbing it to work. I can weld but don't own a welder or even have a good place to do it. The bike would have to be transported to any muffler shop to do it right and there are none near me. I considered several alternatives and I am still exploring a few. I actually would like to reuse the OEM muffler it is in good condition cosmetically besides this issue. I did already buy new gaskets thinking I would reinstall it. There is a newly reproduced version of the original muffler on Ebay for wait for it...................................................................$1400. :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160897#p160897:26xe8t0s said:
rob.lafady » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:07 am[/url]":26xe8t0s]
Looks nice!
+1 :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160914#p160914:8c2de5jk said:
joedrum » Today, 6:10 am[/url]":8c2de5jk]
glad you whipped it ...looks geat

Yep whipped it, is a good way to put it. It fought me. Determination and a little work won.

Thanks everyone else for the complements.
It's really no show piece but it's going to make a nice regular rider.