Must Haves

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a new Goldwing owner (I'm new, the Goldwing isn't!).

What are the "must haves" for proper care and feeding? I already have modest assortment of metric tools and I've been reading on here how to homebrew some specialized tools, so that's cool. One of the first things I plan to acquire is a battery tender, though I don't foresee any long periods of not riding, unless something goes wrong right away.

Any other things I should consider as must haves?

Thanks!

Mark

Bicycle tire pump, tire pressure gauge, tire plug kit, flash light, spare valve stems, fuses, bulbs, rain gear, tool kit, glass cleaner, micro fiber towels.....are some of the things that I keep in my storage compartments! :shock:

i traveled with a guy like you alot. everytime we stoped for gas he would clean my windshield...sure miss that old guy :crying: :crying:

cyborg":3nqz71jo said:
i traveled with a guy like you alot. everytime we stoped for gas he would clean my windshield...sure miss that old guy :crying: :crying:
I don't do windows! :smilie_happy:

we were the best of riding buddies for years. it drove me a little crazy. he died about 5 years ago. i still turn up a chair at the table when i stop on a ride, and buy him a cup of coffee. he carried a lot of the same stuff you do. all i ever saw him use was the window cleaner

CBH":3d04z2v0 said:
Bicycle tire pump, tire pressure gauge, tire plug kit, flash light, spare valve stems, fuses, bulbs, rain gear, tool kit, glass cleaner, micro fiber towels.....are some of the things that I keep in my storage compartments! :shock:

Thanks, CBH! As a bicyclist, those are pretty common sense things I'd never leave the house without. It would be a spare tube and a patch kit for the bicycle, but the plug kit makes a lot of sense. Do you use a different kit for a bike than you would a car?

I picked up a battery tender tonight. I didn't get out of the store without being told three times that was the best thing I could buy for the bike, so I thought it was money well spent.

Mark

I carry a small 12v compressor, a warm jacket,tire pressure gauge and a can of fix a flat a spare valve for the valve stem and a change of cloths just incase. Sometimes I forget to come home, hopfully I won't forget where I left the wife when I do get home. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

i have to say no on the fix a flat. unless it is one i haven't seen, they tend to react with the rims and the inside of the tire. i have seen a number of tires fail that had fix a flat in them. unless you only use it to get off of the road,and to a tire store, it can be dangerous. and the guy who has to change it will be cussing you big time

I am with Cyborg on this and never use fixaflat in a can myself. It leaves a mess that makes it difficult to effectively fixing the tire once you attempt to. Instead, I made an great little compressor like the one in this article...:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle- ... /air-pump/

Small to carry and along with a plug kit, it works great for flats....I have a tube type wheel/tire on the hack so also carry a patch kit, a set of tire irons and a spare tube.

But understand, I get a lot of fun made of me because of all the crap I carry...I have enough tools to rebuild the entire motorcycle...spare parts...jumper cables...l.e.d. road flares....jack....the right end wrenches and a half inch drive ratchet and sockets for the large nuts and bolts on the hack mounts.... complete set of spare cables...on and on.
Everything I carry though, is carried because of past need. Good thing I have a hack!

My wife on the other hand says all you need to carry is a AAA card and a credit and debit card....of course she is right!

Brian

I noted that you are from So. Cal., so you may want to be prepared for when the hot top in parking lots gets too warm it gets soft and your side stand or center stand could sink. I use a simple square of aluminum, with a tether attached to remind me to retrive it before I drive off, to avoid any problems.
Jim

I've heard about the side stand foot sinking into asphalt for years.
Living here in Socal and riding in 100+ temps I've never experienced that even parking in direct sun that would fry an egg on the seat.
I think this must be more a problem with newer asphalt or something. Guess I've been lucky so far.

When I take a long trip, I carry the Honda tool kit (with a few minor extras), a footpump for air, tire repair kit and a cell phone. I use the rest of the space for overnight stuff!

I will admit that I have a lot of confidence in this bike and I am willing to ride with minimal gear.

im with gerry i dont carry much and have confidense in the wing ....except for tires ....the tires suck and will always be a problem on long trips ...ive been stranded before trying to buy wing tires on my 79 1000 at a tire store with hundreds of tires but not one for an oldwing

Dan..of course...I forgot the cell phone and she has one that not only finds all the closest bike shops but i think it makes coffee as well! :roll:

And of course she is right, never a doubt in my mind.... :cool:

Traveler....pm me about your ship.....I am a TGYC member as well.... :hi:
Brian in NM

Attachments

• tgyclrg.jpg
    tgyclrg.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 142
  • cg18_2.jpg
    cg18_2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 147
joedrum":20fgebgp said:
im with gerry i dont carry much and have confidense in the wing ....except for tires ....the tires suck and will always be a problem on long trips ...ive been stranded before trying to buy wing tires on my 79 1000 at a tire store with hundreds of tires but not one for an oldwing
Joe, didn't anyone tell you that you do not have to sharpen your tires before each trip?? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

My front tire (Bridgestone S11 Spitfires :hihihi: ) has 16,158 miles on it!

I have a little 12v air compressor that i carry, BUT I am from the old school and made one consession in preparing for 100 mile enduros, along with tools and spare cables and plugs i carried a can of fixaflat. Ti got me back to civilazation more than once. usualy the decision was to sacrafice the tire to the slime rather than walk. The tire man was always ME. It was always better to ride on a tire that would hold air than a flat in the back country. :smilie_happy: :popcorn:

Latest posts