My favorite R Lee Ermy quote and a request from CGW Members

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olered67

Reaction score
I don't want to be a "downer" in the midst of the holidays... but I need a little help also.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

That is one of my favorite movie quotes of all times. And I think its fitting for a request I have also.

I have my views on religion and I am sure you have yours. I am not one to proselytize others. If someone asks or has a question about my beliefs I will discuss it at great lengths but never try to force to change their views. Right or wrong, thats my way.

Having said all of that I do believe in a higher power, and I do believe he hears when we call. But I feel a need to, "cover all the bases" like Mr. Ermy did in the video clip.

Here is my need. Its actually my parents needs that concern me but I am asking the believers among you folks for your help.
My mother has been diagnosed with colon cancer and has battled that disease for over five years. Three surgeries and intermittent at first and now continuous chemo treatments over this time has done nothing more than hold the cancer at a stalemate and continually weaken her. She regularly(every couple of weeks now) requires being given multiple units of blood to get her hemoglobin levels raised. At times they dip into the sixes.

Also, my dad has been diagnosed with pulmanary fibrosis (IPF). He has been told that both lungs are irreparably damaged and that his only chance is replacing one or both. The last two weeks we have spent at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida where they tested him from tip to tip. These DOZENS of test results have shown that he has no other disease in his body with the exception of the IPF and that gives him a pretty high score if/when he is placed on the Organ Transplant Recipient List.

His placement will be recommended by his doctor to the transplant commitee in the next couple of weeks and hopefully they will approve him to be listed, ... ... ... ... and then the wait.

I'd like to ask all of my CGW friends who intercede on the behalf of others to their higher power to lift their names with me.

They need help in every aspect, physical, spiritual, financial, emotional, etc. Financially, the medical should be covered by Medicare, but they still will have the expense of repeated trips to Mayo(2 and a half hours from home) and will have to relocate after transplant to Jax, FL for 3 to 4 months during recovery because he has to be within 30 minutes of the hospital until they get the anti-rejection medicine dialed in and adjusted properly.

They are both under a severe psychological strain as well. The doctor told them that the only thing he could see that might prevent him from being "listed" would be if she used herself as Primary Care-giver due to the unknowns of her ongoing battle and treatment. This has given her feelings of inadequacy. She feels she is failing him. Daddy is battling with always working and being the bread winner to not being able to walk from the bedroom to the kitchen without having to sit and take a break to catch his breath. He is also struggling with the thoughts that if he goes through with the transplant that he could outlive mama... which I know he wonders about being able to handle.

I have listed myself as Primary and mama, my wife and my aunt as Secondary Care-Givers, and I am thankful I have a job that will allow me to take off the time and be paid.

I am not asking for any financial help from any of you. That is not what this is about. This is more about the spiritual help!!!

And... one more important request... for all of you believers, and any unbelievers out there that managed to read this far... consider being an organ donor if you have never agreed to it. There are 1000s of folks out there waiting for organs everyday and several more 1000s of usable organs that are destroyed everyday that could have been used to improve the quality of life for folks. Thats a shame to me.

I am thanking you ahead of time from the deepest part of my soul for any spiritual help you can offer my folks.

Larry, You are not being a "downer"! You have a specific need in you and your parents life and that "need" isn't aware of the fact that this is a holiday season that should just be cheery. (Athough the reason we even have this holiday season, Christmas to be more specific, is because God cared about your specific needs long before you were even born).

My family and I are going through very similar circumstances with my In-laws and it is not easy! I thank God that you don't really have to try to "cover all bases" just in case since they have already been covered for you. God is not a God of chaos and He can and does hear from you directly. He knows your needs even before you ask Him. I also am not here to proselytize, but the truth is always true.

PM me if you want.

olered67 ... I can emphasize with you and your predicament. This past January I went through a bilateral lung transplant because I also had IPF. If you or your Dad need to talk about this procedure from the recipients viewpoint and what it requires and what to look forward to after I will be more than happy to talk at any length or at any time with you or your family. I do this for other potential transplant patients, until you have been through it you just don't know what will happen or what is expected of you as a care giver. My wife was my care giver and it takes a lot in the beginning. But no matter what it takes the rewards are worth it. My family and all my life line friends have been notified and will take it to a higher authority as often as possible.

Bealtaine Dia a d'co-píolótach

Our thoughts and Prayers will be with you and your family as you go thru this.

Thanks everyone!!!
I want yall to know that I have sent my mom and dad the link to this thread and the ones I posted on the other forums. I am sure they will appreciate your thoughts and prayers as much as I do.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Ive never seen that movie... I'll have to see if i can download it off of the net

My favorite R Lee Ermy quote is from Full Metal Jacket where hes yelling at the soldiers in the beginning of the movie, Funny stuff
I thought about postin the video off of youtube but its full of some pretty vulgar language :lol:

I think its about time to update this post! I will do a series of posts to catch everyone up as I have time. There has been a lot that has taken place in the last five weeks and I want to let those folks know who have thought of us and prayed for us that we are still in need. And to let y'all know of the results of those thoughts and prayers!

On Saturday, July 24rth at about 7:30 PM my dad received a call from his Doctor. The Doc said they may have a suitable donor but it wasn't 100% yet. He said to get our bags together and keep all the phone lines clear. At 10:30 he called back and said COME ON! So we headed to the ER at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. We arrived shortly after midnight, they put Dad in a room and prepped him for surgery. We had to wait on a Mayo surgeon to travel to where the donor was located to inspect the lungs and decide if they were acceptable. We were all going through a roller coaster ride of emotions during all of this time. We were excited at the possibilities of Dad getting new lungs and getting back part of the quality of life he had lost and at the same time we realized somewhere there was a family who was facing the loss of there loved one! Around 4am or so they took dad out of the room to take him to surgery and I walked outside to have a smoke(I KNOW!!! I see the irony in that too!) At 5am I saw the helicopter land to deliver the new parts we had been waiting on!

Dad's surgery started around 5:30 and was over about 11:30. During those six hours they actually did two seperate surgeries. First they replaced his left lung, which was the most damaged, while he was breathing with his right one with the help of a ventilator. Once it was installed and the plumbing was completed and working as it should then they removed and replaced the right lung. They did one at the time to keep from having to put dad on a heart/lung bypass machine which we were told would require a longer recovery time. By 5:30PM they had taken dad off of the ventilator and he was breathing on his on with a new set of lungs!

More to come soon....

Havent quit smoking yet!

It has been too much of a roller coaster ride for me to try to quit just yet.

The plan that we had in place for dad's transplant was that mom would be the primary caregiver and i would help out when she needed it. She has been battling Colon cancer for the last six years and we knew she would have to go home for treatments, blood transfusions and such during our stay in Jax. So I was coming to dad's appointments with them and learning to be a caregiver also.

I dont remember if I mentioned that we were told we would have to relocate to Jax for 12 to 16 weeks after transplant. Mayo requires you to be within 30 minutes of the hospital post-transplant while the Docs adjust the anti-rejection meds. A few days after the transplant mom had a Dr's appointment and found that the latest Chemo was not effective, the cancer had spread and the Doc was discontinuing all treatment and future transfusions. Mom was turned over to Hospice Care and after quite a bit of negotiating we found a Hospice Facility within five miles of the motel we would be using. Dad's transplant was on July 25th, and on August 6th he was released from Mayo and we checked mom into Community Hospice in Jacksonville.

The next few days we watched as dad grew stronger and mom weaker. After a few days at Hospice mom's condition seemed to level off and stop deteriorating. They had her pain managed well (the cancer had grown to the point that she had a few cracked ribs). In fact she seemed to improve some. to the point that Hospice wanted to release her, since that facility is primarily for patients who require around the clock nursing. While mom only needed meds four times a day and was able to shower dress and eat with a little help from my wife or aunt. So she was released to home care and is now staying with us at the motel. Since she has been here we have seen her appetite improve some and she is eating a bit more each day.

I have been looking after dad, managing his meds and taking him to appointments scattered through the week. My wife and my aunt have been watching after mom. They have been staying a few days at the time and working as a tag team.

It has been quite an experience to say the least!!!

I was trying to keep this short but so much has happened both good and bad. Please keep all of us in your prayers...they have brought us through this far!!! And Thank you all!!!

On a side note I would like to encourage all of you to consider being an organ donor. Dad was only able to walk maybe ten steps before having to stop and rest. A few days ago he walked a mile, and has done that several times since. All because someone was willing to help someone else through their own loss. We are so humbled and grateful for the donor!!!! Even if you feel your organs would not be worth donating... please consider it. There have been great advances made to the point that organs from a 20 year old who was in perfect health are not the only ones that are utilized.

I will post more later when I get a chance.

Thanks for the update, Larry!
Hope everything continues to get better with time. :yes:

Latest posts