My luggage is different

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casca23

Reaction score
I have a 1981 Goldwing Interstate. The side bags and trunk are identical pieces of detachable luggage that are like suitcases and are an exact color-match to the bike and fairing. They sure appear to be a factory installed option. They are honda line pieces and not the Vetter luggage. I haven't seen this style on any other Goldwings. Can anyone give me any insights on the history of this option? Were they, in fact, a factory option? Or at least a dealer installed option?

Attachments

• Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 136
They are very nice and I have seen a couple like them.
But I am thinking they where added after the fact,as well as the hondaline fairing.Some dealers dressed a few at the dealership to meet demand.

I see you faux tank has the honda emblem on it witch would most likely make the bike a standard model.
Look at the tag on the steering neck,It will say 1100s for standard 1100i for interstate,and 1100a for aspencade.My guess is yours will say 1100s.

Either way it is a very nice example of a 1100,and I wish my bags where removealble like that.Very usefull,and my honda ones are a bit clumsy removing the lid all the time.

The trunk and fairing are Hondaline, I believe the bags are Samsonite.
The Samsonite bags were never offered from Honda to my knowledge.
Judging by the tank emblem (good catch Tory) and the pin striping it appears that this is a dressed Standard and repaint.

Good looking bike, and welcome to the forums!

The trunk and side bags are identical pieces. Except for the 3 snaps that are there to attach the backrest pad, (which I found seperately on e-bay, incidentally, and it snapped right on so I know that it was made specifically for this luggage) they could all swap positions without any difficulty. The interesting thing is that the Honda emblems on each case face out so they can be clearly read when installed on the side of the bike, but are upside-down when installed as a trunk.
Is the 1100s tag on the neck visible with the fairing installed?

I have a 1100 I took apart , I am keeping a few parts off it........ but it has a set of Samsonite bags about like that . but....mine don't look near that good......thats a Beautiful Bike. :music:

I went out and snapped a few pics. You may find them interesting and enlightening.
Thanks for the nice comments about the bike and for educating me about it.

Attachments

• Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 123
Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:

Yep, those are Hondaline bags made by Samsonite under license. Nice paint! They are the original decals/striping on the bags so that bike has been well cared for! I have the same bags but mine have had their share of sun and highway beatings.

Attachments

• MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 126
  • MVC-017F.JPG
    MVC-017F.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 126
That is a gorgeous bike!! The bags/fairing/lowers are definitely Honda, but most likely dealer installed, or installed by a previous owner. Your ID tag shows a standard GL1100. Mine has GL1100 I. The Honda badge on the side of the "tank" is a good give-away to the origins of the bike, since none of the factory "dressed" bikes would have had that badge.
Regardless of the pedigree, it's still a super nice, and unique ride! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Latest posts