My vin?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's been trying to find out what year my bike is once and for all. Now as some will know I bought my bike in Holland about 15 years back with a Dutch number plate, that in itself doesn't mean that the bike originated there, could have come from anywhere. I have been to a couple of sites, that say the vin code is easy to decode, that is bull.

I think my bike is a 79 KZ maybe a K3 maybe a clone of a clone why because I can't find any relation to my vin code.

My Frame number is stamped on the neck of the frame, (so are most bikes), the number is GL 2-4016517. I can get the engine number .
So I have been here..https://members.home.nl/mmarx/Wing/partsbook/vin.htm

NOT ONE of the frame descriptions start GL 2 only GL1. See picture below, My frame number is GL 2-4016517 and not GL 1 nnnnnwhatever see picture. If anyone can shed a little light on this and tell when my bike was made I would be eternally grateful, why I hear you ask, well looks like my brake discs are not of a KZ My discs have six mounting holes nearly all the brake discs I have found seen new replacement glued on or whatever are 5 hole? So if anyone can say what the hell is going on with my (bought used) bike I would be happy. If you click on the photo the pic will expand. Ian

fram number.jpg

frame number 2.jpg

frame number 3.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159618#p159618:3hi1cipz said:
slabghost » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:21 pm[/url]":3hi1cipz]
Print
Save in "My bike"

Louis DIY crew Tips and tricks from
our team of mechanics
Find used value:

DAT GmbH

HONDA GL 1000 K3 GOLD WING
GL2

Year of manufacture:
1978 to 1979
VIN:
GL1E-4011015- -

Found here. https://www.louis.eu/rund-ums-motorrad/ ... g/gl2/0095

V That other dude with the same number is me, I have two sets of numbers, one in my Dutch registration document, but that one says 1980. The other is the stamp in the steering head which is the chassis number. I tried another vin finder last night it said my bike was a 2008 Honda GL1000 made in South Africa?????

My problem lies in the brakes (front). My discs that I took off the bike when I striped her seem to be very different to what they "should" be.

My dimensions are as follows measured with a tape and a vernier.

Over all diameter = 274m
I have 9 rivets holding the core to the brake ring.
The inner ring has a diameter of 170mm
The hub outer diameter is 100mm
the hub inner ring diameter is 56mm
The ring bolt centres are 78mm
Bolt dia is 8mm
Disk offset is +- 22.5 mm
Number of retaing bolts are 6

There are some made by EBC but as far as I can see they are all 5 bolt fixing. When I try and get new discs with my year they all say 5 bolt fixing see link here
https://honda.best-shop-price.com/ebc-st ... -gold-wing

My discs are right on the limit regarding thickness and they are scored so if I had them reground they will be below size. I had a set from a member and they too are 5 hole and the offset isn't the same. this is beginning to get me depressed about bloody brakes. Surely these discs were used on other Honda bikes, maybe even Suzuki bikes, they are stamped with a Suzi trade mark.

Believe Joe's hit the mark on your disk issues. :good: Was going to suggest you have something else in the mix, are you sure the stockers won't work? :headscratch: Stupid question but had to ask. :whistling:

Yes the riveted discs came off my bike, even the rear is riveted. It may well be due to continental differences, Eu vrs AM.

Disc is right hand disc off my bike.

disc1.jpg

Disc is American disk I got off a member

disc2.jpg

Discs same diam here side by side

disc side by side.jpg

Shows different offset

disc3.jpg

Am disc 5 hole mounting

Disc 5 hole.jpg

Attachments

• disc2.jpg
    disc2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 174
  • disc3 different off sets.jpg
    disc3 different off sets.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 174
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159633#p159633:251hfjo1 said:
Denver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 pm[/url]":251hfjo1]
Believe Joe's hit the mark on your disk issues. :good: Was going to suggest you have something else in the mix, are you sure the stockers won't work? :headscratch: Stupid question but had to ask. :whistling:

No they have been measured and the fronts are 4.2mm thick, if I had them ground or faced off on a lathe then they would be under size, 4mm n the front. Same with the back it is already 5.8mm should be 6mm.

what do you think going to happen to them ...id used them ...there not going to explode ..bike has no weight for that ....brakes will still squeeze them no problem ...the numbers mean nothing at all to me or to the bike ...just suggested replace is all .....me a 4" grinder to surface with my smart hands and there used ....we shouldnt give so much to numbers game ...cause here it just dont make sense at all

I can understand them (Honda) making changes like a twin pot front calliper as a so improvement on the 1100 But why they would change something as fundamental all through the years beats me. The only way I think I am going to get this done is to finish off the triple tree and then mock up the fitting and do some measuring, like fit the forks and the front wheel and brake discs and callipers and see what comes out. Thanks guys for the help.

Try looking at the comstar wheels for the brake rotors they were used on bikes other than the wings. Later rotors differed between aspy and interstate .

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159644#p159644:yhho0ekw said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:37 am[/url]":yhho0ekw]
Try looking at the comstar wheels for the brake rotors they were used on bikes other than the wings. Later rotors differed between aspy and interstate .
I would be looking at Suzuki's if that's the mark on your discs.

id say good plan it seems number dont even belong to this disc you have anyway ...thats exactly how i mod a wheel and fork together that dont go together ..i havnt failed yet to complete one ...good plan ..i dont do numbers much but clearence is everything as far as brakes go

Going to have to do something, I have fired off a msg to the disc maker EBC to see if I can get a bit of clarification. Over here on e bay they say they will fit a load of bikes. This one e bay (German) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171839292133? ... EBIDX%3AIT

This one translates as..

EBC Bremsscheibe vorn rechts Honda GL 1000 Z Goldwing GL2 Bj. 1979
EBC Brake Disc Front Right. Honda GL1000 Z Goldwing GL2 (my chassis starts GL2) Build Year 1979

So waiting on a reply, the only difference is that these are called floating discs. They don't actually float And they have a 5 bolt mounting?

Says he has 7 available be sure to get measurements from him. If they are right the front may be off a Honda 750f.

Latest posts