needing a GW mechanic

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingin-it

Reaction score
:shock: does anybody know of a good GW mechanic near the flint michigan area?? my bike is smoking out the left side and i would reallly really really like to be riding ASAP!! :music: :thanks:

Attachments

• ZZZBLING.bmp
    9.6 KB · Views: 175
Are you in a hurry to spend your money? What color smoke? What side? Does it smell sweet? Was it doing this when you parked it. What "winterizing" did you do? Did you use a fuel stabilizer? How long did you let it run? Was it humid and cold? Was it stored with fuel on? Does the oil smell of gas? Was the bike on the sidestand? Did you check for new tenants in your air box?
Answers to these questions can indicate causes of smoking.

I agree with slabghost the smoke can be caused by many things, some causes not even a problem with the bike.
Fill us in with more details then if the cause is needing deeper repairs than your up for at least you
be armed with enough knowledge to keep the shop honest.

I just started my bike up after sitting all winter and I got smoke out of the left exhaust. I know it is a mixture of gas and oil from when I put it on the side stand. Put it back up on center stand while running and let it clear. Rode to work and never looked back!! Point is, 1100's have a tendancy to smoke on start up after sitting and sometimes worse if on the side stand. They usually clear up after the engine is fully warmed up.

If it is antifreeze....you will smell it at the exhaust - then when can respond with other solutions
If it is burning oil.....it will smoke blue, might clear after 10 minutes and the engine is warmed
If it smokes greyish white....it is most likely gas...you will smell it...leaking carbs - we have solutions!

well last summer i went out riding kinda hard, and the next day i went and started it and instantly a huge cloud of smoke(left lower side), i cant remember really what color it was but i believe it was grey, and my bike has been in the garage on the centerstand all winter but i did not put stablizer in the gas tank, do you guys thank it would be a bad idea to go try to start it today just to see what happens?

now i miss my old 81 cx 500 that thang was so much easier to work on!! imma get gas n battery jumper out tomorrow and give it crank!!

Smell the oil. If you smell fuel or a sweet smell (antifreeze) . Change the oil before starting. Use cheap stuff it will need changed again.

slabghost":22ijbf1b said:
Smell the oil. If you smell fuel or a sweet smell (antifreeze) . Change the oil before starting. Use cheap stuff it will need changed again.

Thats a good starting point but I'd check the antifreeze as well, level as well as color BEFORE I tried to start the bike. Then just for sh*ts an giggles pull the plugs and check them as well and peer into the cylinders (use a good strong flashlight).

This was a very good day i went out started my bike today and it wasnt smoking any more neeedleess to say i instantly put my helmet on and went for a nice long ride!! :music:

Lesson hopefully learned. Don't get in a big hurry to pay shop fees. A less than honest shop would have charged an hour or more labor for letting the smoke clear.

Good News ............. mine has smoked a few times too when I hadn't rode it in a week or two ,but it always clears up , and runs just as good as the last time. I'm glad to hear it was no big problem , and also glad to know other people have the same thing sometimes.

Latest posts