New guy from Nebraska

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerRick

Reaction score
Just bought my first Wing yesterday. I hadn't been on one since I rode on the back of my Dad's 1980 Goldwing over 25 years ago. Moving up from a KLR650.

Test drove a beater a couple days ago, and bought this much nicer one. 1983 Interstate with 64,000 miles on it with a nice little trailer to pull behind it for $1800. Seems to run and ride real nice, no problems with the starter when the engine is warmed up. Was told that the belts were replaced a few years ago and the tires a fairly new. Most of the chrome has seen better days with quite a lot of pitting and general surface rust, doesn't seem like it was washed too often.

I plan on riding it to Sturgis next month, what all do I need to be SURE to check out before my trip besides the usual fluids, etc.?

Welcome from Colorado Rick..
Below is the list I made when I started on my bike and some additions from Dan that helped me out.

My list includes:
brakes
belts
radiator leak
check water pump and thermostat
adjust valves
eliminate alternator connector
New tires
Multiple fairing cracks
Change oil and filter
Find exhaust leaks
Can anyone think of anything else to do or check on a bike that I have no history on?

Other things to check:

1. Final drive splines clean and lube with Moly 60 paste.
2. Give a 1/2 dozen pumps of regular grease into grease fitting by the final drive.
3. Change final drive gear oil.
4. Those same 3 yellow wires have been known to overheat at the regulator plug.
5. Check every nut and bolt on the bike is tight.
6. Lube cables.

I'm sure this will help you as much as it did me.

Welcome to our world of GoldWings!

Seller said belts changed a few years ago, I would go ahead and change them.
Gates: T274 or NAPA: 250274

Other than what thewhiterhino listed, for a long trip checking the wheel bearings would be a good idea.
Heck they're cheap, change them while your in there.

Welcome to the CGW forums, FarmerRick!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Check out the "New to U bike? Read me!" thread for more info, too, on top of what has already been mentioned. Ya can't always go by what the PO says about maintenance....better safe than sorry!

Welcome from MI farmer rick.
The 83 is a fine machine and you got alot of miles left in that one.

I would love to see pics of both the bike and trailor.

Here she is...

IMG00933.jpg

(the beaded seat cover has since been ditched)

Well, I started tearing into it this morning and the water pump is quite the "wobbler" so it looks like I'll be changing that along with the timing belts, t-stat, radiator cap, and hoses.
The belts look original(Honda branded) and are quite loose so I'm glad I took a gander under the belt covers. Looks like the local stealership's website lists the water pump for $132, seems like a decent enough price as long as it is in stock. I've ordered the gaskets/seals from a place on eb@y for $23 shipped, hope it gets here by next weekend.

The fun never ends. :Awe:

:hi: Welcome to the site Rick :salute: I say you got a pretty good deal... The bike was worth that without the trailer :clapping: :clapping:

FarmerRick":1gtq8m6i said:
Here she is...

IMG00933.jpg

(the beaded seat cover has since been ditched)
Hey I have the beaded seat cover and used it on a long trip.. wasn't that bad at all.. I also used a geltype cushion for relief.. and you got a steal with the trailer included.. I would reconsider the trashing of the beads.. may not keep it on all the time but a longer trip it may provide the relief you need.. it moves and and causes the muscles to react, and allows air flow,, welcome to the board from North TEXAS DFW area

Latest posts