New guy from WA state

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old and rusty

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Naked '77 GL 1000
Appreciate you letting me tag along
I've got a naked '77 GL1000 (didn't start out that way) that id picked up about 20 years ago. Still a work in progress. Aside from little things have done a dodge neon coil pack conversion, and have been attempting a single carburetor manifold conversion. Still searching for the right idle jet (runs super rich below about 2500rpm). Had picked it up from marketplace with a 34 pict 3 solex carb already on it.
Any advice would be great... thanks again.

thanks guys, hope Joedrum doesnt mind questions...feel like ive got so many. Seems like single carb conversions are really polarizing. (from my experience on other goldwing sites anyway) Some people really liked the idea of them, while others definitely did not. think i saw too many you tube videos of people installing the manifold/carb conversion, barely doing any adjustments , then fire it up and it runs perfectly (lol)...dont know how others single carb conversions have gone, but mine has been nothing like the videos.

Appreciate you letting me tag along
I've got a naked '77 GL1000 (didn't start out that way) that id picked up about 20 years ago. Still a work in progress. Aside from little things have done a dodge neon coil pack conversion, and have been attempting a single carburetor manifold conversion. Still searching for the right idle jet (runs super rich below about 2500rpm). Had picked it up from marketplace with a 34 pict 3 solex carb already on it.
Any advice would be great... thanks again.
mine was the same way. I run 40 pilot and a 145 main.I got the pilot jet from Jbugs the main jets are mikuni ,found at most motorcycle shops.I have a 82 1100 aspencade. runs good with this set up.not as fast as stock carbs but better than 40 yr old worn out carbs.Hope this helps you.good luck..Tom

mine was the same way. I run 40 pilot and a 145 main.I got the pilot jet from Jbugs the main jets are mikuni ,found at most motorcycle shops.I have a 82 1100 aspencade. runs good with this set up.not as fast as stock carbs but better than 40 yr old worn out carbs.Hope this helps you.good luck..Tom

Appreciate the response Tom, funny about jbugs. I'd ordered a #40 pilot jet from them, but there must have been a problem as they cancelled the order and refunded to the money. I've checked on Amazon and will be buying one through them. Right now I'm running a #55 pilot 127.5 main. When trying to adjust for idle couldnt really tell much of a difference when turning either of the two adjustment screws. Didn't think I had any vacuum leaks, so do you think it was the too large pilot jet preventing me from being able to dial it in? It would run, but was so rich it would burn my eyes trying to set it. I've had no experience with Solex carbs prior to this, and not much of a carb guy to begin with so have been feeling a little lost and frustrated about the whole thing. Any info id run across on other sites seemed to vary quite a bit. Is the 34 pict 3 not a good carb for this application? At first had read how it was... then after installing it kept hearing that it wasn't. Your reply has shed some light on the subject for me, really appreciate it. With any luck I'll have some new #40 #145 jets to try by this weekend... thanks.

Appreciate the response Tom, funny about jbugs. I'd ordered a #40 pilot jet from them, but there must have been a problem as they cancelled the order and refunded to the money. I've checked on Amazon and will be buying one through them. Right now I'm running a #55 pilot 127.5 main. When trying to adjust for idle couldnt really tell much of a difference when turning either of the two adjustment screws. Didn't think I had any vacuum leaks, so do you think it was the too large pilot jet preventing me from being able to dial it in? It would run, but was so rich it would burn my eyes trying to set it. I've had no experience with Solex carbs prior to this, and not much of a carb guy to begin with so have been feeling a little lost and frustrated about the whole thing. Any info id run across on other sites seemed to vary quite a bit. Is the 34 pict 3 not a good carb for this application? At first had read how it was... then after installing it kept hearing that it wasn't. Your reply has shed some light on the subject for me, really appreciate it. With any luck I'll have some new #40 #145 jets to try by this weekend... thanks.
I started with the big screw and little screw out 2 and a half turns.use the litte one to control idel

I started with the big screw and little screw out 2 and a half turns.use the litte one to control idel
Have the new jet en route right now, expected to be here this Wednesday... I'm ready for round two, and ready to get after it. Thanks for the insight Tom, appreciate it.

Hey guys, back with yet more questions about my single carb conversion. ugh Got my new jets, swapped them out and though not quite as rich as before, still can't seem to achieve an acceptable idle. Feel like I'm possibly missing something obvious. Here's a dumb question...Do the two adjustment screws for idle control the idle strictly through air/fuel mixture, or is there a point where it alters the butterfly position slightly? It's doing alright from just below 3000rpms on up, but when rolling the throttle off once it gets below around 2000rpm still starts running very rough.Can get it to hold approximately 1000rpm for a short time, but that's without the throttle being completely closed. Is some kind of regulator for the fuel flow needed? I'd went to an electric pump when my mechanical one gave up (one of the cheap low volume type you see online from China) and was wondering if that was contributing to the problem. Although I know that you're not supposed to in frustration have contemplated just using the fast idle adjustment to try and alleviate the problem (I won't). If my problems only seem to be below 2500 that would indicate that the problem is in the idle circuit, correct?
(getting ready to remove the carburetor yet again). I apologize for the constant questions about this project, but it's turning out to much more difficult than I'd anticipated. -thanks

the first carb I bought did that ,I couldnt figure it out.I got another 70 dollar carb and it didnt do that. china carbs are hit or miss.
Thanks for the reply Tom, really appreciate it. When id picked up the carburetor/manifold combo from a guy on marketplace after talking him down to 100 bucks, id thought to myself this is too good to be true... just a little ironic that it actually was.
.... would it kill them to exercise a little quality control? Thanks for bearing with me with all the sometimes dumb questions.

Latest posts