New guy, just bought my second "old-wing".

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKsoldier

Reaction score
Howdy fellow Goldwing owners! I have been riding motorcycles for about 15 years, with around 8 bikes and well passed the north end of 100K miles under my belt on two wheels so far. All of my bikes have been either Honda or Yamaha models. I've owned one other Goldwing - a 1976 GL1000 standard. I've also had two 1980 CX 500 Customs, one of which was my first bike, and the other I rode over 8K miles last summer here in Alaska.

Summer is again around the corner, and I couldn't pass up a deal on a pristine '78 GL1000 for my summer ride this year. It has only 16K miles, and is refurbished and ready to go. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get her on the road.

My only question - I would like to get the factory hard bags, or a suitable aftermarket set. What range of model years are interchangeable with the '78, and if aftermarket is a better option - what do you all suggest?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to learning about my 'wing!

(Duplicate Thread merged/duplicate post deleted--AApple)

Welcome to the CGW Forums, AKsoldier!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks guys! Time to browse e-bay a bit for some Vetter bags. Any other places I should be looking?

Watch here in the For Sale section. Craigslist and your local papers. Where ever you find them it will be best if they are close enough to pick up. Shipping will be pricey. OTOH Throw over soft bags and a luggage rack works too.

slabghost":1c845wr5 said:
OTOH Throw over soft bags and a luggage rack works too.

slabghost - I actually have some soft bags that came with the bike. The previous owner couldn't figure out how to keep them away from the rear tire. I think I can figure it out, especially if I have a luggage rack. Any ideas where I can find a rack that will fit on my bike?

Watch Ebay and the for sale ads here and on NGW. Look for your bike and for universal luggage racks to fit CB or GL etc. You could post a "want" add here. There might be someone with an extra. Yes you can fab up something to keep the bags off the rear tire. Which by the way I'll be doing sometime this season.

Thanks, I wound up finding a luggage rack on e-bay for less than 30 bucks! Shipped to AK it's $50 and I figured I'm probably not going to do much better, so I bought it. I'll put it on as soon as it gets here and it should make a good anchor point for fabbing something to keep the soft bags away from the rear tire.

Welcome AKSoldier, I'm sure you will find what you need for your bike in time.. Welcome again and thank you for your Service...

Thanks for the welcomes. I have a few minor projects I can do on the bike to pass the time until the snow melts, but spring can't come soon enough! I just got home from work. I was supposed to have a night jump, but something went wrong with a heavy drop so we got scratched. Oh, well....

toytender01":1o4go2oz said:
Don't tell me "YOU WILLINGLY JUMP OUT OF A PERFICTLY GOOD AIRPLANE ????? :heat: :heat: :heat:

Well, yes but I didn't get the chance last night. :headscratch: It seems something went wrong with the pilot chute that was supposed to assist deployment of the main chutes for the heavy drop, and since it was a big one, blocking our exit doors - we got scratched. It's not a big problem though. There are two more jumps scheduled next week, and I wasn't all that excited about jumping into 130 knot wind at five below temps anyway. :whistling: