New Member from so cal (la/sd Halfway)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TONY84GL1100

Reaction score
Introducing myself Tony. Just bought a 83 gl 1100 interstate. Love the bike so far. After reading though, sounds like I better do the timing belt next weekend. I will post pix soon. My friends and I are goin to Vegas OCt.1-4 any one else. Anyone around me?

:hi: Welcome Tony :clapping: You have joined a great bunch of guys here and they will give you answers to any questions you may have even ones concerning your wing :smilie_happy: :heat: we all enjoy working on our wings so keep watching the posts and post any question you might have...we all help each other here....Check every thing before your ride .. oil .breaks, tires, lights, bolts and nuts,, good idea to check the timing belt, gas filter, water, ride as much as you can before your thip to familurise yourself with the new bike......The more things you check the better your ride will be..the more you read posts on this site the more uoy will know what to check and how to check it.....I assume that you are not new to riding motorcycles...bou one statistin concerns me a lot ....and that is new ridere and riders on new to them bikes have the most accidents usualy less than 5 miles from home...I see from your profile that you are not one of those who are considered at the greatist risk...so this is just a reminder....ME myself am in the lower risk catagory also...I don't ride fast,,,,I din' rode slow, I just ride half fast :smilie_happy: :salute: :party: :music2: ...Bob

been riding for about ten years regular. Im changing out all fluids this weekend including the brake, oil, coolant with timing belt next weekend. i got two hundred easy miles on her. Got receipts from two years back that the dealer did some work on it (brakes, etc. , but timing belt is probably original, we' ll see tomorrow

:hi: You have a goos start on it Tony just keep after it.....Make sure the break pads are good and the rotors are clean ( I mention it because i am rebuildirg an 82 now and had to kit all parts of the break system front and rear) ...However this bike had been in storage for 8 years and every thing was stuck.....I am trying to negotiate for an 83 myself wil probable have to sell off some of my treasures :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: in order to finance the deal unless i can barter it....Have fus and welcome again....Bob

Welcome Tony.

Might want to order the 2 timing belts right away so you have them next weekend.
The Gates number is T274, seems like that number had a couple zero's though, T27004?

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Tony!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Goldwing GL1100 TIMING BELTS - GL1000 (Premium Grade) (Item Number: 180542241346) -- JUST BOUGHT THIS ITEM ON EBAY. IWAS GONNA ASK CAUSE HONDA WANTED 66 A PIECE AND MY FRIEND SAYS "PEACE OF MIND" ITS WORTH IT. HANDS STILL DIRTY FROM CHANGING OIL, BRAKE JOB (PADS NEXT WEEK ORDERED SOME KEVLAR ONES) TODAY INCLUDED UNSTICKING THE RIGHT FRONT CALIPER (THOUGHT NEEDED A NEW CALIPER), NEW FLUIDS, AND NEW FUEL FILTER. MY BUDDY LARRY IS TO HAVE ALL THE CREDIT, I AM LEARNING ALOT THOUGH. THANKS FOR THE WARM WELCOME. GOT ONE QUESTION, LARRY THINKS WE SHOULD CHANGE OUT THE WATER PUMP WHILE WE R AT IT. HE SAYS HE DOESN'T WANNA DO IT TWICE. SO NEXT WEEKEND, WE WILL CHANGE ALL PADS, AND DO THIS JOB.

There is a weep hole on the bottom of the motor that will leak either oil or antifreeze if there are bad seals. You can remove the water pump cover and stick you finger on the end of the impeller and if there is any perceptible movement I would change it.
Mine had no leaks, but quite a bit of play so I put the new pump and in another 27 years I probably won't care.. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

TONY84GL1100":2i4g8mk5 said:
does anyone still make the tensioners incase we need it.
Sure, they're still available from mother Honda. Just replaced both of mine a couple of months back. They still seemed fine, but the ole girl was pushing 85K and just figured it was time.

guys thanks again. next week im putting in a stereo system. any recs on installation. i got a radio (200w max); amp w two enclosed speakers; and i purchased a left / r used honda speaker set; and i purchased an accessory panel. would still like to add on an alarm w pager and led (like lizard lights for better visibility). comments welcomed; and thanx again for making me feel welcome. after all is done; i will post pix; oh just installed the lrge windshiel(slipstream) havent tried it tho; gotta say original looks better.

:hi:
as I remember on my old 80 faring there were 4 round gage holes...one was tempriture (outside temp, a pickup hung just below the bottom front of faring),,,,,A volt meter and a clock the other hole was empty...I don't know if that was stock...I don't have it any more , it is with my brother-in-law in oregon . If more info is needed I can contact him for pix...Bob