New member in Washington State

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karitoki

Reaction score
Greetings! :grin: Just bought my first Goldwing this week here in the Lacey, WA area. PO had it as his "rain bike" so he wouldn't have to ride his very nice Electra Glide in the nasty stuff. Had owned it for a couple of years and done a lot of work on the ignition and electricals and added the Jardine pipes and new tires. Unfortunately, he probably didn't put 500 miles on it because he was a little short on the inseam if you know what I mean. Could barely tippy-toe the thing. Anyway he was firm on his price ($800) which seemed fair to me. Right now it's in my buddy's garage while I get things organized to change the timing belts, rad cap and hose, and the exhaust crush gaskets. After that, I'm going to ride the snot out of it until winter time and then tear it apart for a full front end engine refresh and maybe some cosmetic touch up. Just talked to a guy who had put 140K and 170 on his GL1100's; this one has 60K so I'm hope'n there's some more life in it. Happy Fathers Day to all!

Attachments

• IMG00064.jpg
    IMG00064.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to the CGW forums, Karitoki!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I got a good friend that lives in Lacey!
You need to watch over your shoulders for the po-lees....you STOLE that bike! :yahoo: Heck-of-a-deal, even if you have to put a few dollars in it, it's still a bargain! :good:

BigAndrew":cemhejpv said:
:salute: Welcome to the site, For $800 you got a darn good deal :clapping:
Thanks! :grin: Now, I have a question for the forum: When I told the age and mileage of the bike to an aquaintance, he asked, "Are you sure the mileage is 60k and not 160k?" :shock: Seeing there are only five digits on the speedo, I'd have to say, "No, I'm not sure". Judging by the overall wear on the bike I'd have to say that 160 is not unreasonable... :mad: So here is my question: if this bike did have 160K on it, do you think it would still be a good buy at $800? Again, it has new tires, a new exhaust, most stuff works (except for the horn, but that's easy) and I took off the timing belt covers and the belts (Honda brand) look almost new; no wear whatsoever. So, what do you all think; did I get a good deal or did I get stroked? :beg:

There's no way to tell the actual mileage I know of.
There are bikes with well over 100k that look close to showroom, then there are bikes with under 50k that were rode hard and put away wet with rust and fading paint. Just depends how well it was cared for.
Everyone on this forum and others will attest that these bikes run strong for a very long time, 2 and 300k miles with just normal care.

All I have to judge yours by is the one photo and never having seen it personally or heard it run.
From what I see you got a very good deal.

YA...not much chance of confirming mileage on one, unless you have registration receipts/title papers that show mileage, but even that can be false. As Dan said, you can have a really low mile bike that looks like it has 100,000 on it, or one that actually has 100,000, but looks like 1,000. It really does depend on how well it has been taken care of, and whether or not it has spent it's time in a garage, or outside....
Mine supposedly had 50,000 on it when I got it, but the odometer only showed 20,000. The speedo had been changed, and the PO did tell me about the original miles.
Your's looks really clean... I'd venture a guess that the miles are correct, or at least in the ball-park. These old birds do seem to have a long lifespan, so just enjoy it, and fix what it needs to have fixed. :good:

AApple":1r9usatf said:
These old birds do seem to have a long lifespan, so just enjoy it, and fix what it needs to have fixed. :good:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Now that is funny! We talk like these bikes just came in for an oil change and most of them are over 29 years old! Ya don't see too many 29 year old cars around with 100k+ miles being treated like they just need to be driven! :smilie_happy:

Honda did a great job engineering these bikes so that old guys like me could ride them 30 years later!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. :thanks: I agree with the consensus to just ride the pudding out of it. :good: I went out yesterday and tore up the backroads between Lacey and Yelm chasing a buddy on his Speed Triple. Outside of a wavy front end at 70+ :shock: , the old bird performed admirably. :grin: This afternoon I'm gonna adjust the valves. Many thanks!

Latest posts