Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete in PA

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm a new guy from Kennett Square, PA (about 35 miles west of Phila). I have an '82 GL1100-I with about 42,000 on the clock. Had it for about eight years. The PO apparently let it sit for about 10 years without running, but the dealership thru which I bought got it in running condition. I used it occasionally -- I have two Nighthawks ridden more frequently -- but I let it sit for about the last two years without running it. (Not good.)
This summer I plan to ride it out to Idaho, so I'm in the process of trying to get it in shape for that. Currently working on the rear brake system in which the caliper stuck in the closed position and heated up the disc. Probably needs a master cylinder re-build and maybe new caliper. I expect to be asking for advice and will attempt to contribute what I can. Looking forward to participating in the group. (My apologies for the long post.)

Pete in PA

:hi: Welcome to the site Pete from a fellow 82 1100-I owner :salute:
Trust me thats not a long post :lol: You need to have at least twice that to be a long post :beer:

hi pete welcome. that brake could be a bad hose or stuck piston in the caliper . if you loosen the bleeder or line and the brake relaxes then its not the piston. lots of good people here joedrum

Welcome to the CGW forums, Pete! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Any questions you might have, just ask away! Someone here will have an answer! :mrgreen:

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I will definitely take advantage of the combined experience of this group. To give you an update on my brake problem: I have already removed the caliper - the pistons are stuck, and the brake pads are toast; and I have the master cylinder all but removed. The cotter pin that holds the rod at the bottom of the clevis was so rusted that I was unable to remove it without breaking it off. So I'm hoping to be able to file off what's left of the cotter pin and then punch the rod through the clevis (or drill out the pin and then punch it through). Any other suggestions/words of wisdom or other comments as to how to proceed would be welcomed. It's too cold to work here in my unheated garage today, but maybe over the weekend it will warm up.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome.

Pete in PA

i have no experience on the double piston calipers . but on my calipers single piston the piston was stuck . i took out the bleeder and went to the hardware store and got a greese gun zerk that would almost fit bleeder threads it wont fit the threads perfectly. then screw it in till it gets a little tight you dont want to mess the threads up. put a greese gun on it scew the hose on to greese zerk and start pumping some greese will come out of threads that are not quite right but so will the pistons one will loosen before the other stop put a wood clamp or somthing on to keep piston from coming all the way out so you can loosen the other piston. this is the method i used on a single piston caliper that had been outside for a decade or two i had no hopes for but onece i got the piston out and cleaned all up it all worked fine. it takes alittle time to get all the greese out of the calipers this only ensures you get the caliper good and clean.

It sounds as if the relief hole in the master cylinder is clogged. Pull it off, empty, and clean it. If you look inside, there is a small hole, barely noticeable, it probably has some crud clogging it up. A good cleaning, and I'd bet it'll work like new. If not, I'd say time for a rebuild.

Oh, by the way, welcome from Tennessee.

Hey Pete, welcome to the site!! I am just down below and over a little to the left from you in Mantua, NJ (Barry bridge to Mullica Hill and then left!). Maybe we could get together sometime! :clapping:

Gerry

joedrum":2d1o2g0c said:
i have no experience on the double piston calipers . but on my calipers single piston the piston was stuck . i took out the bleeder and went to the hardware store and got a greese gun zerk that would almost fit bleeder threads it wont fit the threads perfectly. then screw it in till it gets a little tight you dont want to mess the threads up. put a greese gun on it scew the hose on to greese zerk and start pumping some greese will come out of threads that are not quite right but so will the pistons one will loosen before the other stop put a wood clamp or somthing on to keep piston from coming all the way out so you can loosen the other piston. this is the method i used on a single piston caliper that had been outside for a decade or two i had no hopes for but onece i got the piston out and cleaned all up it all worked fine. it takes alittle time to get all the greese out of the calipers this only ensures you get the caliper good and clean.
Joe, Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Pete

plskthompson1":2iqpiilt said:
It sounds as if the relief hole in the master cylinder is clogged. Pull it off, empty, and clean it. If you look inside, there is a small hole, barely noticeable, it probably has some crud clogging it up. A good cleaning, and I'd bet it'll work like new. If not, I'd say time for a rebuild.

Oh, by the way, welcome from Tennessee.

Thanks for your comment and for the welcome. When I get the MC off, I plan to do exactly that. But it needs to go up a few degrees before I can spend any time in the garage. Let you know how I make out. Pete

:cool!: Welcome Pete in PA. Lots a good tech tips to be had from this forum just ask them and they will answer.
Winger 82 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Winger 82":28l6suv9 said:
:cool!: Welcome Pete in PA. Lots a good tech tips to be had from this forum just ask them and they will answer.
Winger 82 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks, Winger, I have discovered that. Now if the wx will begin to warm up just a little, I can get back to work on my rear brake problem. Need to remove a rod from the bottom clevis of the master cylinder. The rod has a cotter pin that has broken off both top and bottom. We'll eventually get it, but it requires spending time in an unheated garage.

Pete

Welcome from another PA winger. Have rebuilt both MC's and all 3 calipers, take it slow and keep everything good and clean. If your pistons are pitted beyond 1/8" of the outer lip it would be best to replace them or the pits will ruin the new seals and probably leak. Good luck.

Neil":119ngvo2 said:
Welcome from another PA winger. Have rebuilt both MC's and all 3 calipers, take it slow and keep everything good and clean. If your pistons are pitted beyond 1/8" of the outer lip it would be best to replace them or the pits will ruin the new seals and probably leak. Good luck.

Neil, Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to be able to work on it this week, and I'll let you know how I make out. Pete

I am sure you will enjoy the forum, Pete. Good luck with the rebuild and have a great trip to Idaho. :salute:

Latest posts