New Old Guy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmctop

Reaction score
Just found this forum...My name is Ron and I just purchased a 1982 Gold Wing Intersate this past weekend. This is my second Gold Wing, I had a 1983 before and sold it and was sorry ever since. This one needs a good tune up and valve adjustment which I'm fixing to do today.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, usmctop!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Good luck with the adjustments. Gotta git out there and RIDE!! :moped:

has anyone ever had trouble with a generator cover bolt that won't come off? I am having to try to get to TDC by using the starter and that ain't fun

lefty loosey, righty tighty. :smilie_happy: Just funning wid ya. No I haven't. If your careful you can use the crankshaft bolt on the front of the engine. Pull the spark plugs first though.

Welcome to the forums.

I've had trouble getting it off, lots of trouble. Had to chisel one off.
Try a 6 point socket, the type that's almost flat with the notches on the nut then give it a sharp rap down on the ratchet handle while pushing the socket against the cap.

That silly cap needs only be snugged down. It has an o ring on it which helps keep it from loosening.

dan filipi":m56qi521 said:
Welcome to the forums.

I've had trouble getting it off, lots of trouble. Had to chisel one off.
Try a 6 point socket, the type that's almost flat with the notches on the nut then give it a sharp rap down on the ratchet handle while pushing the socket against the cap.

That silly cap needs only be snugged down. It has an o ring on it which helps keep it from loosening.
This one must have been put on by someone much stronger than me. I can't get it to move....just tearing the metal. I finally got my valves adjusted and it is running better but the carbs need to be synced and it is not returning to idle right. I'm gonna take it to a dealer to get that done...no vacuum guages here. Thanks to all for the welcome.

Hey Ron, welcome from California. I guess the 1000, 1100, & 1200s would be considered clasics. 1500s probably aren't told enough yet, but I may be wrong.

There is so much good information and great people on this forum.

When I got mine I had to use a six point socket and a two foot breaker bar to get it lose. I believe it is important to get it off and when you service the bike check the stator bolt. Some have come lose and then you have a real problem because as with one of the folks I know it stripped the bolt and he had to obviously pull the motor to repair it.

well, I never had any problem taking the one off of my 83 wing when I had it...but this one is on there. My cousin is a car mechanic, I may run it by his shop and see if he can get it off with some of his tools. I have already ordered a new one to replace it.

Latest posts