New snap ring pliers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faced with putting the snap ring back onto the driveshaft of my 1100, I finally broke down and bought a decent pair of snap ring pliers. :music2: :fiddle:

Bought them at Canadian tire. They are made by Channellock, very solid, different tips are held in the ends via set screws and they have a switch think for extend/contract.

Put the snap ring on my driveshaft this AM in seconds.
Notice how the tips are splayed out slightly to hold the snap ring

There is another solution for that dang snap ring... Change to a 1200 output shaft and driveshaft then you don't ever need to worry about the snap ring again. :mrgreen:

I know I don't miss the aggravation of dealing with it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185536#p185536:up5dc62s said:
Winger 82 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:10 pm[/url]":up5dc62s]
Channellock pliers are made right here in my home town :music: :music: :music:

That's pretty cool eh. :music:

The Harbor Freight $5.99 item can be quite good by getting rid of the Mickey Mouse spring and pin designed to make quick changes for the tips. With that, it's useless! Put a small screw with a nut on one side and it works great. I'm a hobbyist, so it works for me. Guys that do this for a living probably need the better ones. I've used mine for the drive shaft clips and forks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185624#p185624:2gp50vet said:
ekvh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:43 pm[/url]":2gp50vet]
The Harbor Freight $5.99 item can be quite good by getting rid of the Mickey Mouse spring and pin designed to make quick changes for the tips. With that, it's useless! Put a small screw with a nut on one side and it works great. I'm a hobbyist, so it works for me. Guys that do this for a living probably need the better ones. I've used mine for the drive shaft clips and forks.

Actually mine has that modification made by the neighbor.
I lended it to him, he lost that pin and put a screw instead. LOL
It's inconvenient when changing tips but yes it increased the rigidity to become useful.

Yeah... the best ones available around here for sure. Looked all over the place for good pliers and that's the ones that didn't aggravate me to death. Most of them at parts stores are just one use if that. They just fold up on you. On the plus side I got good at finding the snap rings after the others failed!

I love the snap on ones that have a lock screw to change them from internal to external. Unfortunately I have not replaced my stolen ones from the great heist of 2013. :head bang:
I too am currently using the changeable head style which sort of do the job if you are careful. :yes:

Latest posts