New to Goldwings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got an 85 Goldwing that has not seen the light of day for 8 years or so. I like to work on older bikes and I have been impressed with the quality of this one, especially after I got rid of all the acorns, rodent droppings and wasp nests. This is the 17th bike I have attempted, but the first Honda. I will not doubt need the advice of experienced goldwing owners, but that is part of the fun.

Welcome to the forum, This was my first with a wing, It had sat some 23 years and came back to life. After 8 years here`s what you want to do.
Pull the seat and the gas fuel guage sender and check the inside of the tank, drain it ,flush it out.
Change the timing belts and you need to drain the radiator to do it so flush out the old coolant and check the hoses or maybe just replace them.
Drain the oil (of course) fresh filter fuel and oil.
You will probably have to pull the carb rack but strange things have happened before so it may just run without pulling them just fresh fuel and some road time, it cant hurt to try but leave the seat, tank cover and other things off untill it fires and you know for sure.
Also have heard of the electric fuel pump hanging up after long layups.
Good luck with your wing.

Zman,
You have called this one pretty close. I had to remove the tank and clean it with vinegar, tear down the carbs and remove varnish (I put them through the cleaner twice), clean the points on the fuel pump, took off about 40 pounds of cheap chrome, removed yards of extra wiring due from "custom" additional lights, clean and refill all brake master cylinders and calipers, clean and refill the clutch master and slave, change timing belts, oil, filter, coolant and I am now down to finding a brake relay switch since the brake lights don't work. I checked the existing one out and it shows no resistance when powered. I am having a bit of trouble finding one. I did take the first ride, before I realized that the brake lights did not work. Dang, this is a big bike, but comfortable. If I get a relay and get the brake lights up, I want to see if the radio and cb work. Suggestions and constructive criticism is appreciated.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92585#p92585:2589y5sj said:
Mikea » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm[/url]":2589y5sj]
Zman,
You have called this one pretty close. I had to remove the tank and clean it with vinegar, tear down the carbs and remove varnish (I put them through the cleaner twice), clean the points on the fuel pump, took off about 40 pounds of cheap chrome, removed yards of extra wiring due from "custom" additional lights, clean and refill all brake master cylinders and calipers, clean and refill the clutch master and slave, change timing belts, oil, filter, coolant and I am now down to finding a brake relay switch since the brake lights don't work. I checked the existing one out and it shows no resistance when powered. I am having a bit of trouble finding one. I did take the first ride, before I realized that the brake lights did not work. Dang, this is a big bike, but comfortable. If I get a relay and get the brake lights up, I want to see if the radio and cb work. Suggestions and constructive criticism is appreciated.

Sounds about like what I am going to go trough on my 85 ASP. I know you are corrct about it being big. Most of my previous rides never got above an 800. i curruntly ride a volusia intruder wich I enjoy. It is a naked bike but the wife doesnt enjoy riding onthe back of it.

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

Latest posts