New (to me) 1982 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhitf

Reaction score
Pick up a 1982 GL1100 with 40k mile on it what maintenance should be done before riding season?
it seems to run well.
dwhitf/Darrell

Timing belts if they haven't been changed recently. If it runs add some Seafoam to the fuel and run it up to operating temp. So it doesn't foul before riding season. Change all fluids if they are discolored or suspect. Check your brake pads and replace as needed. Lube your cables.
Polish and shine as you please and fix whatever you find isn't right.

there are a lot of things people say to do like new timing belts ...if it runs well id start mixing ATF fluid to gas as this realy keeps the carbs clean and boost the gas some too ...todays gas is crap nowdays for the oldwings...id also change the oil ....top the brake fluid if they work good ...and just ride it and read some of the teck stuff here and how to ...to get an idea of whats in volve in belt changing ....and then see about updating things as you feel you can we will help with what we can on advice and all....theres lots of info here ...it takes just five post to access all the info

joedrum":29mzpr83 said:
there are a lot of things people say to do like new timing belts ...if it runs well id start mixing ATF fluid to gas as this realy keeps the carbs clean and boost the gas some too ...todays gas is crap nowdays for the oldwings...id also change the oil ....top the brake fluid if they work good ...and just ride it and read some of the teck stuff here and how to ...to get an idea of whats in volve in belt changing ....and then see about updating things as you feel you can we will help with what we can on advice and all....theres lots of info here ...it takes just five post to access all the info

What ratio or how much ATF to add to the gas?
Darrell

Check out Roadie's New 2 U bike? section...lots of good tips/info on what to look for/check on your new ride. :read:

I use 6oz of ATF in mine...others use around 8oz. Beware, you might get a little poof of smoke on startup at times, but the benefits outweigh that. :good:

gee i didnt put that in there ...8oz per tank ...it sounds like a lot but its not ...it may some for awhile ...but it will soon clear up after everything is cleaned up...there are no down side to doing this ...all benefits..yes like apple says rate can vary ..i just try to be close on the mix but i dont try real hard i just pour till it think i gotit ive been doing it so long :mrgreen: