new to me 82 1100 standard is home

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
me and nakedtob met up this morning and i got all my stuff ......i only looked at the 1100 one time before and couldnt realy remember much about it as i was not thinking about buying it......i thought it was brown its not its black .....but i did remember it was nice and it is .....the mongruels tires are might go flat out of embaresment......things ive notice

its quiet compared to thr mongruel

it has fork brace

sems to have auto air light ...i thought that was in 83 i havnt had time to look at it it started raining right after i put every thing up ....

never ran it till i got home went for short ride its smooth but has a tic to it at mid rpm ...

good power i think but i did not go past 3500 rpm ....carbs are good without question....

i understand now about the lid thing now on the false tank...

it dosnt sit as well as a 1000 i seem to far forward .....

35000 miles not bad for this yr. bike...

sur like the fact that the turn signals cant be left on...

anyway its stop raining ....

my daugter is here so im going to to see if she will post some pics for me ...we all know i sure cant.....im better get with it before she leaves... :mrgreen:

Sounds like you are making progress! BTW, the '82 seat is adjustable. At the back of the seat, loosen the two bolts (one should be a spring loaded adjuster) and the seat has three positions, all of the way forward, 1/2 forward and all the way back.

joedrum":5f9e4cfb said:
well that didnt work she left i mean how many times can a guy flunk 1st grade pic posting !!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the new bike Joe!

I should just call you and walk ya thru posting pictures, PM me your number and best time to call this weekend.

wow guys !!!!! naked tob gave me alot of stuff ......check the oil ...could smell a little gas ....drained and change...got a luggage rack with a an adjustable backrest....put it on ..... frist time ever to ride a bike with a backrest for me ......the air shocks in the rear have progressive springs just like the mongruel...
on the bad side....front fork seals are gone and are just as spongey as the mongruel.....i realy like the 1100 carbs with the accellerator pump there smooth
and strong ....the mongruel ass kicking racing like and nothing to do with smooth .... can be like a bucking horse if your touch get away from you....i now have a
83 rack theey will go on the mongruel after i clean them up and go though them now i wont have think so much on thottle control honda gets an a+ in my book
on that change....im not knocking the 1000 rack its just better at home on the track you wouldnt beleave the amount of thottle control ive got because of there nature....the ticking i posted about is gone after changing the oil....

after changing and putting on luggage rack i went for longer ride the frist one was just a couple of miles just long enough to to hear the ticking ....once i could
tell that the ticking was gone i put it though its paces .....its a realy strong bike and has better narture shifting motion ..the mongruel always seem tight even before it was the mongruel....

i can tell that there was amove by honda to smooth the 1100 out the street bike competision war with the kaw 900 and ithink it is an improvement on the wing design motor overall and it still has plenty of punch and idont think the radical 1000 design get you that much more punch for the trade offs .

the way the 1000 thows it torque around i dont ever come hard off the line in fear of beaking it ....im thinking the mongruel would take it even with its taller gearing....but you would have to be an idiot to go where you would have to go to get it off the line to beat this smooth 1100 and its strong punch ....i never do that and most 1000 i come accoss would get there ass kicked by this 1100 most are not up to snuff like the mongruel is....

there seems to be no primary chain noise at all but i dont hear very well and i didnt ride it long it started raining.....

cant wait to post some pics im realy blown away about this bike.....and the mongruel going to get a carb chanage soon i think this will tame the mongruel some
:yahoo: :party: :yahoo: :party: :yahoo: :party: :yahoo: :party: :good: :music: :music: :music: :salute: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:clapping: :music: :yahoo:
Ya-HOOOO!
Congrats on getting the "new" baby home, Joe!! It's a bit different than your regular ride, eh? :yes:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I Loved reading your story Joe. and so glad you like the new bike. :music:

thanks guys....apple your right theres a nite and day difference between the two attitudes of the of the motors.the better you get the 1000 the more radical it gets ....i guess without the accelerator pump to encourage smoothness a well running 1000 snaps to to life in a torque wrenching way that requires a lot of throttle control and leads to its rougher shifting caricter from 0 torque to lots of torque with no middle ground at all....the mongruel suffers from alot of chassie jacking or wanting to go sideways which is pure hell on gravel roads....my frist ride on the 1100 made me instantly relize how much better it is on gravel roads

im sur that changing the carbs will slow the mongruel down but i dont care i would rather it act more like a dresser sould....

im having some heating issues with 1100 its hot today i mean hot and stagnent....the only thing that the 1100 dosnt have it sould is radiator wings ive got some
some after market ones that are crome but in reality there anything but crome....i will put them on ive herd they make a huge difference will see ....ive never had them off anything i ever dealt with..... obviously idont like anything that runs remotly close to hot at all .....im going to stick to this issue till i get it where i want....

1100s are basicly 1000s bored out or bigger sleeves that would cut down cooling volume even 1200s fall in this deal...if the heads from one fit all theres no way to get around this .....as the size gose up so dose the heat to the cooling system.....the only way to combat this is to have bigger radiators as the sizes went up
but the 1100 has the same size radiator as the 1000 so its going to run hotter everything equal and 1200s have smaller radiator this was just stupid as me trying to post pics :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

anyway there may be something else going on and all things might not be equal ...i havnt dug into this to far yet so i dont know whats realy up yet overall...

Yahoo weather for Joe's town

Capture.JPG

Not very warm in degrees compared to what we get here but the humility is high. Does that make engines run hotter?

Joe... check the heating issue... check level in coolant tank and radiator, run until "hot" and check fan for running, check the level in overflow tank, then let it cool off/get cold, recheck the coolant level and radiator level.. if fan is running and coolant is low in radiator but bottle level never changed.. then you have a leak of air somewhere.. if fan is not running then it may be bad fan, bad switch fan not connected to switch..

apple it got to the red zone once ....i had to stop and let it cool down.....idont think the radiator wings are going to work but i have to eliminate that possibility
i think somthing else is going on...but what im not sure yet ....it could be a sidecar susie thing.....like i siad i havent dug to far in this yet....

dan are you kidding me :shock: thats my weather you posted i cant hardly beleave your skills your amazing .....anyway it was hot today and idont think thats
the major factor on my bike but as anything else im relentless on solving the problem im not to worried and full of confidence ....after i eliminate all the easy stuff
i will check the flow rate of the water pump and go from there .....just like on susie deal idont see any obvious problems....tommarrow im going to go after it big time....

ive pretty much done that joe but tommarrow im going to do it more completly...

yes dan the humitity will effect cooling as the air is full so to speak and the transfer is reduce some .....when your outside working and it is real humid your sweat dosent seem to cool you off or go away ......

okay i know you guys think i do things strangely so ill go over what happen and what i did .......well yesterday after heating problems and checking the cooling system signs of problems and finding none ......you know me i took the thermostat out.....went for a ride got hot not much different than before.....put some radiator wings on i had .....this morning went to church about 8 miles away ,by the time i got to church it was hot.....pretty much convinced that it was going to
something that was going to require major work to fix without a doutb .......had a nice church service play drums and all .....after church some friends were looking at my bike and i was explaining how it was going to take some pretty major work to fix the cooling system and was going home to get started to figure it out....it was much hotter now and before church it was somewhat cool and the bike got hot .....so i was thinking i hope ican get home before it gets to hot and have to stop .......so i leave church and start going home .......to my amazement the bike is not getting hot ....it dosent even get know where near it ....i get home and i cant beleave what just happen.....took my daughters car for a ride to check it out she said it was running bad ....it was empty on gas so i put some in ride it around there nothing wrong with it in fact it is better cause its got gas in it now hmm....good way to dad to put gas in it i thought.....anyway finished monting luggage rack on the 1100 with the adjustible backrest this thing is just kool as it gets as i see it ......so i decide to go for a ride thinking about the fact that it did not get hot after church......well to make a long story short i ended up taking a very long ride 40 -50 miles or so it never got over half way on the gauage ran smooth and the fan never came on at all .......

i am just stund about the whole thing i did nothing that fixed this bike at all .....when i was sure that major work was going to half to be done ...nothing had to be done ....in no way can i take credit for this and in no way would i try to take credit for this under the circumstances that it this fix happen it just more
than can be observed by mans knolegde .....things like this happen to me and all i can say is that my relationship with the lord has manifisted many times and i
will always share it when it happens to others know matter what they might think or say .......

in no way did i fix my bike ......but the bike is fixed.....

okay i have to say one more thing ......rode the mongruel .....havnt rode it since the 1100 is home and all this stuff ive been posting.....wow the mongruel is much faster than the 1100 its gut wrenching torque is far more than 1100 .....it might be able to look good in frist gear but after that its all over by a huge margin....i guess with no windsheild on the 1100 i was thinking it was doing more than it was ......when i hit second gear and pour the coal to it it :shock: me
and made it very clear that i had been riding a somewhat mild manner bike and it was time to pay attention to whats going on....

theres no doubt that the blue collar looking mongruel has made many haft to look at it cause it was in front of them and nothing they could do about :cheeky:

Joe, that'll teach ya to always play the drums during worship! :music2: :music: :clapping:

I am wondering if the bike was really hot or was the gauge acting up? Bad ground on the temp sending unit maybe? Or was it physically hot and you could feel the difference?

yeah it was gitting hot .....8 miles was about it before you had to stop.....all i can can figure is the continuous flow of the coollent might have broke loose some kind of blockage that restricting flow just before iwas going to do intense work on it ........ i was stund at the turn around and taking in the moment that lasted
till the end of the second ride.... :yahoo:

My '83 Interstate 1100 has a toggle-switch fan over the radiator rigged by the old-timey motorcycle customizer/jock who previously owned and refurbished it -- deemed a 'hack' because of it on another Goldwing forum I no longer frequent -- for just such too-hot situations (like sitting in in-town traffic in the South's summer!). It works as designed/intended. When I turn it on for a few minutes, my engine cools down. Go figger! Hack, indeed! (The no-longer-visited site is based in the Pacific Northwest, which doesn't ever see 90+ temps and 50%+ humidity, nor reasonable civility).
Anyhow, Joe -- it's an option that works, however 'hack-ish' some purist might proclaim it. Just a thought...

Whatever works is the right solution.

I put an adjustable thermo switch for the summers here, adjusted to run the fan at a lower temp than the stock switch does. Seems to work fine in the few warmer rides I've been on. Hasn't been very warm this year yet.

Latest posts