No Headlamp

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondaman

Reaction score
I have a 80 GL1100 that has not had a problem with the headlamp at all in 14 years I have owned it.
Recently I was about to go for a ride, and the headlamp did not work. I checked the obvious, bulb, fuse etc. The horn, signals, and running lamps work fine.
I tested the fuse panel on the headlamp fuse, and have power to both sides. I pulled off the left switch assembly, no power to the Hi-Low switch.
So I changed the switch, everything else works as before, no headlamp. I started pulling the casing off the harness to trace wires and power. Any suggestions? What am I overlooking?

The starter button, when you push it in it cuts power to the lights to get more juice to the Starter. I had that issue and I could wiggle the button and the light would come on, I replaced mine but I've read that some guys have cleaned the contacts and that worked for them.

I do have a brand new OEM starter switch ready to put on. I picked it up because it fits my other 2 Honda's as well. I will install it next. I actually hope that IS the problem. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks.

I agree...that's probably the problem. Mine has done that before, too. Everything but the headlight works. On mine, I just mashed on the start switch with the key off about a hunnert times, and it started working, and has been working fine for several years now. Might spay a little contact cleaner in it, or some WD40, and see if that takes care of it, before tearing it apart to swap the new one in.

Boy, You guys nailed it right on the head. I just swapped it out for a brand new one, and when I saw the hi-beam light in the dash on, I knew that was the fix.
Thanks a lot guys! Now I have a lot of assembly to do. See ya!