NYC, Just like I pictured it.... skyscrapers and everything......

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2ppn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to get together for a nice night out in "the big apple"???
Possibly dinner in Chinatown or Little Italy.... then Greenwich Village for some jazz/blues???

How about it???

Rich

pommes frites 2.JPG

I would love to visit the big apple but unfortunately I am trying to make my ride in August shorter not longer :nea:

What can I say, there is just something really "special" about rolling through those "concrete canyons" past all the famous landmarks... not to mention that having a motorcycle gives you an advantage in looking for a parking spot..... I do hope some of you guys here in the nearby area will consider a evening ride into the big apple....

Rich

Just passed through "twice" yesterday! Although it was on Amtrak! :oops:

Love seeing my old stomping grounds (or is it more appropriate to say.....floating grounds?) as I pass over the East River on the Hells Gate railroad bridge. (And I noted a few ConEd buildings on your behalf!)

Been to NY City 1 time sorry but I won't be going back anytime soon, it's just not my cup of tea :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I never minded the traffic while riding the Wing into the Big Apple (I've done it a dozen or so times for work)....

...but the pot holes wear ya down after awhile...

Come on north of the Tap....tree's, hills, curvy roads, and scenic views...and best of all, no horns or sirens...=)

SirGary":kb1ssxpe said:
I never minded the traffic while riding the Wing into the Big Apple (I've done it a dozen or so times for work)....

...but the pot holes wear ya down after awhile...

Come on north of the Tap....tree's, hills, curvy roads, and scenic views...and best of all, no horns or sirens...=)
I agree, it sure is nice country up that way! :yes:

(Ya have to see it by boat too! A trip up the Hudson to Albany is extraordinary!)

Sheesh! I guess if you guys aren't doing 65+ MPH on some mountainous turny-twisty road with natural scenery whizzing past, you aren't interested ??? (JK)

Yes, there are discourteous drivers, yes there are some pot holes to avoid, yes there are lots of things that may "turn you off" or make you "afraid" (yes I did say AFRAID) of coming into NYC, and honestly, aren't these things ALWAYS there on ANY ride we go on??? I think the rewards outweigh the risks and will continue to do so.... unless you want to rent a limo with a large sunroof in it and hang out of it as the limo drives all around the city, or find a friend with a convertible to chauffeur you around town all safe inside your steel fortress..... things like finding parking and dealing with traffic, pedestrians and such all fade away when you are cruising down 5th avenue from Central Park by the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and Grand Army Plaza, continuing past the NY Public Library at 42nd St. into the fashion district, past Gramercy Park and downtown all the way to Washington Square Park and Greenwich Village. Not to say that a ride downtown through Times Square at night wouldn't be thrilling as well... Visit the 911 memorial, see the new Freedom Tower from a ride on the West Side Highway, the USS Intrepid and all the cruise ships on the West Side... so much to see, and better on a bike!

There are a lot of reasons not to go, but there are lots more of them to go...
Maybe I'll post some pics or videos of NYC riding and gain some interest??

Rich

Rich, I have seen so much from the water it is awesome! Sadly, spent a lot of time at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. Normally, I have made the trip from NJ to CT via the GW and follow 95. It is really only a fraction of NYC seen that way. Then, on a return trip from CT, I had to meet up with clients in Red Hook on the waterfront and we came down the BQE and it was my first time realizing how BIG NYC really is! It is awesome! Seeing it from the waterfront view only is deceiving since you only see the shoreline (which is nice) on all of the bays, rivers and canals (Being a Captain has its advantages!).

I'd like to take a trip coming off the GW and visit Grant's Tomb, the little Red Lighthouse under the bridge (From the book The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge) https://www.historichousetrust.org/item.php?i_id=24, take a trip down Henry Hudson Parkway, stop at the Intrepid Museum (only been there by Tug so far), visit the SS Lilac and go see my friends over at Portside on the Mary Whelan (a ship I once served on) https://portsidenewyork.org/ They have just recently moved to Red Hook.

Latest posts