Oh, the joys of vintage bike ownership

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
This last I ordered a new set of push and pull throttle cables for my 82 GL1100. I had just installed new brakes, new tires and new front wheel bearings.
So, this Saturday I went on a ride over 3 of the mountain passes(Snoqualmie, Blewett, and White Pass). The ride was great and about 350 miles. About 2/3 of the way I looked down and the speedo had stopped. The cable broke. So then I stop for gas and can't get the gas door open, had to pry it open.
I am beginning to rack up a lot of "points" with the on-line venders.
I ride this classic 100 miles a day and it seems like I have to fix something every other weekend.

Yea, I am wondering what is left that I have not fixed yet. I suppose it is ok, I still haven't spent that much money on it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118340#p118340:fb4wbw7k said:
slabghost » Mon May 19, 2014 4:00 am[/url]":fb4wbw7k]
Once you get all the maintenance caught up you'll just clean refuel and ride.

Clean? Are you supposed to clean them? I just pressure washed my for the first time in months just so it didn't look bad for my ride with the group. Around here with all the rain and bad weather, I just clean the wind screen, lights and license plate, the rest is covered in road grime. I will clean it up for the summer, I suppose it deserves that.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118346#p118346:2lqeykb2 said:
oldmopars » Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 am[/url]":2lqeykb2]
Yea, I am wondering what is left that I have not fixed yet. I suppose it is ok, I still haven't spent that much money on it.
Better check those damn muffler bearings.

Ahh, Corvair, Americas finest engineering moments.
I guess we are lucky, I have yet to need something for my bike that I could not find. All the normal wear out stuff has been easy, click, click, ship.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118383#p118383:34ibf8k2 said:
Steve83 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:54 pm[/url]":34ibf8k2]
I hate it when you can't find parts for these vintage vehicles! So far, I havven't found a single source for a water pump for a friend's Corvair!

all right steve they dont have a water pump ... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: funny guy ... might have problem finding parts parts for L shaped belt drive fan .... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :hihihi: good one :whistling:

And I was just going to tell him that I am sure I have one in the shed somewhere... :smilie_happy:

Oh crap! I'd forgotten about those Vega brakes! :sensored: :sensored: adjusters!!!

I really did like the Corvair, especially the '65 and later. Pretty sweet running and driving little cars. I've always been a Nader hater.
:sensored: :sensored: lawyers!!!