Oil change for my GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new oil filter today (Amazon.com) & I'm going to change the oil in my GL1500 on Wednesday.
I was told by the forum back a few years ago when I had a GL1000 that I should only use Shell Rotella 15W-40 Engine Oil. And I also use that oil in my GL1100. But my question is why & should I use it in my GL1500? Because today I stopped Wally World/mart and got a gallon of Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 Engine Oil. What is everyones thoughts on this?
:thanks:

The flat fours are known to be picky about oil wt. And certain additives don't play nice either. No idea yet what differences Honda made between the Valk 1500 and the Aspy 1500. Many on the Valk forum are using synthetic oil. I don't recall offhand what wt though. Might want to check your users manual for what is recommended and see what else get's posted here.

I use the manual recommended 20/50 for my extreme climate here in the high desert. Valvoline, because my uncle worked in the oil industry back in the day building engines to run flat out to failure to study the effects on different oil brands and he told me to use Valvoline. I'm sure much has changed since then, I figure this is now one of those boxers or briefs issues anymore. If you ask 50 people you're likely to get 50 different answers.

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155310#p155310:3299qgh8 said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:03 am[/url]":3299qgh8]
I use the manual recommended 20/50 for my extreme climate here in the high desert. Valvoline, because my uncle worked in the oil industry back in the day building engines to run flat out to failure to study the effects on different oil brands and he told me to use Valvoline. I'm sure much has changed since then, I figure this is now one of those boxers or briefs issues anymore. If you ask 50 people you're likely to get 50 different answers.

~O~
You are probably right. 50 people - 50 different answers. lol
But TNX for the input. And I'm not sure why I didn't just look in my owners manual. Maybe because I never had one before this bike. :Egyptian:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155307#p155307:2e48roia said:
slabghost » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:33 am[/url]":2e48roia]
The flat fours are known to be picky about oil wt. And certain additives don't play nice either. No idea yet what differences Honda made between the Valk 1500 and the Aspy 1500. Many on the Valk forum are using synthetic oil. I don't recall offhand what wt though. Might want to check your users manual for what is recommended and see what else get's posted here.
And yes... Thank you... I checked the owners manual. I forgot I even had one. Okay, it says SAE 10W-40 high detergent, premium so I guess I'm good.
TNX

So I guess my question now is should I take back the Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 Engine Oil & get Full Synthetic Motor Oil?
And what is the advantage? Other than Synthetic Motor Oil lasts longer.

" Other than Synthetic Motor Oil lasts longer "
I don't know if synthetic oil last longer but oil should be changed at the recommended intervals or sooner. there is nothing in an owners manual that sez change oil later if you use synthetic oil. after listening to all the racket my engines ( gl 1500 and gl 1200 ) were making I went back to Castrol t4 10w 40 or 20w 50

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155343#p155343:3vlvsgrv said:
detdrbuzzard » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:04 pm[/url]":3vlvsgrv]
" Other than Synthetic Motor Oil lasts longer "
I don't know if synthetic oil last longer but oil should be changed at the recommended intervals or sooner. there is nothing in an owners manual that sez change oil later if you use synthetic oil. after listening to all the racket my engines ( gl 1500 and gl 1200 ) were making I went back to Castrol t4 10w 40 or 20w 50
I'm not a big fan of synthetic oil either, so it looks like I'll go with standard oil & be done with it.
TNX

My experience with synthetic oil is on a KZ 750. It revved faster and ran a bit better but any place there was any weakness in a gasket synthetic found a way to seep through.

There is one thing i learned about oil, it never wears out as long as your motor is running at the correct temp and don't get hot to where it just cooks it. The only problem with oil is, it just gets dirty. Lots of people have different views about oil, i never was a fan of synthetic oil either, i think it's just a big hype myself. They have many different brands of oil, but if you went to the oil refinery , you would probably see them running oil for one company and the next day, running it for another company. It's just the different additives they put in it to make another name for it. Kinda like the Coke-cola plants making soda or any other plants. They do the same thing. i was an overhead crane Technician for many years, and seen this within the plants...you think your buying a BRAND NAME PRODUCT ...but it was made within a plant that makes all different BRANDS, and you and me are just paying for the name... :rant:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155371#p155371:2lm1fgig said:
backyardtrouble » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:21 am[/url]":2lm1fgig]
There is one thing i learned about oil, it never wears out as long as your motor is running at the correct temp and don't get hot to where it just cooks it. The only problem with oil is, it just gets dirty. Lots of people have different views about oil, i never was a fan of synthetic oil either, i think it's just a big hype myself. They have many different brands of oil, but if you went to the oil refinery , you would probably see them running oil for one company and the next day, running it for another company. It's just the different additives they put in it to make another name for it. Kinda like the Coke-cola plants making soda or any other plants. They do the same thing. i was an overhead crane Technician for many years, and seen this within the plants...you think your buying a BRAND NAME PRODUCT ...but it was made within a plant that makes all different BRANDS, and you and me are just paying for the name... :rant:
So true because back in the 70s when the CB was the big thing not many people knew that there was only 2 different manufacturer of CBs & they just put different names on them. Everybody wanted Craig CB & President radios & you could go to Sears & get their brand (much less in cost) but it was made by Fannon that made Craig, President & many others lol
I think I'll just change the oil today & use the Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 that I got because it was only $14 for a gallon jug.

On my prior bike, a yahama venture royale,,, I used amsoil 20-50... I would change my oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles... It,,, after the first 500 miles,,, I noticed that I was getting a bit longer between fill ups... I was getting 4 miles per gal more... It turned over faster,,, showed less strain on the highway... I was sold... Now I run synthetic in my car and bike... also in my riding mower... I used to get 2 mows in per tank... now I get 3 moves and the brigs doesn't slow down when I get to some high grass... Also it is made in America...
It is all a choice... I choose synthetic... INHO...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155384#p155384:1j52tddw said:
RussL » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:31 pm[/url]":1j52tddw]
On my prior bike, a yahama venture royale,,, I used amsoil 20-50... I would change my oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles... It,,, after the first 500 miles,,, I noticed that I was getting a bit longer between fill ups... I was getting 4 miles per gal more... It turned over faster,,, showed less strain on the highway... I was sold... Now I run synthetic in my car and bike... also in my riding mower... I used to get 2 mows in per tank... now I get 3 moves and the brigs doesn't slow down when I get to some high grass... Also it is made in America...
It is all a choice... I choose synthetic... INHO...
Okay so now I'm going to have to do some research. Thanks for the input.

For me, synthetic oil does a couple of things: It extends oil change intervals and seems to lessen clunky gear changes for a while.

The best I ever used was Amsoil followed by Mobil 1 motorcycle specific but they are very expensive.

I now use Shell Rotella Synthetic developed for diesels but has no friction modifiers or other motorcycle clutch no no's.

I would say it is a middle of the road oil compared to the other two I mentioned but is very affordable.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155458#p155458:1bi7eyle said:
Terry » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:22 pm[/url]":1bi7eyle]
For me, synthetic oil does a couple of things: It extends oil change intervals and seems to lessen clunky gear changes for a while.

The best I ever used was Amsoil followed by Mobil 1 motorcycle specific but they are very expensive.

I now use Shell Rotella Synthetic developed for diesels but has no friction modifiers or other motorcycle clutch no no's.

I would say it is a middle of the road oil compared to the other two I mentioned but is very affordable.

I'm changing the oil in a few min (after I look see what I need to do) like drain the tubes & what all lol
I'm going to use the Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 Engine Oil since I already have it.
I'll look into synthetic oil for the next change.
TNX for all the input, Jim

I have been using Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in my last three bikes. And it works GREAT! Rolls over easy in cold temps and has ample protection in the warmer weather as well. Another thing I ALWAYS use are NAPA Gold (same as WIX) oil filters. Why buy a cheap filter if you are using a premium oil?

Ride safe.

Latest posts