Omega's Fairing Repair...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a little prep work tonight getting ready for tomorrow, and the tank had to come off so I could get to the inside crack.

$20 worth of stuff from Lowes. I found the fabric mesh, but talked them into giving me a loose roof-gutter screen for free. Then there is the cement, ABS cleaner, sanding block, and fume respirator.

more to come...

~O~

After cleaning the duct tape adhesive off with the ABS cleaner, I've decided to try a less visible repair from the inside. Three of the smaller cracks sealed themselves during the cleaning process. The metal mesh is easier to work with than I thought, EMT scissors cut through it easily.

~O~

Here's where I am right now. It's funny how I have done everything completely different from how I planned.

I'm starting with repairing just the crack itself. Glue inside and on both sides of the crack.

Here, I've put that metal mesh on the inside area. It covers much more than the crack at the bottom, but this whole area looks vulnerable to me. I put this on the outside because it was easier, and out of sight.

This a pic of the inside of the open pocket, the red lines represent the cracks and where I added adhesive.

I really like this cement, the fairing feels solid already.

more to come...

~O~

I would say it was a success. I took her for a ride this evening without any problems. The repair was easy, is crazy strong, and I wish I had done this a long time ago. I'm going to do a little rattle can spray paint touch up to reduce the shininess of the repaired areas, and later figure out a nice way to cover that panel.

Got a crack? go for it, it's really not that hard. :rocks:

~O~

Latest posts