Oops! I did it again...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209259#p209259:c6p8yz68 said:
chilidawg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 am[/url]":c6p8yz68]
How's this then? I give you $100 for that front fender. And of course I have numerous reasons for doing so, and they are... :fishin:

1, You can tell your significant other that you got the bike for free. :good:

2, It doesn't from the photo's, seem to match the bike, seems to be more black than brown, which could be considered an enormous fashion faux pas, right there! :nea:

3, If it is more black than brown, it'll match my bike to a tee. What more could you want?.. :party:

PM me!

Sadly, the front fender is brown, so it wouldn't match the rest of your bike at all... In addition, over the weekend, I got the bike running. It was only running on the right side, so I swapped out the carb rack and now it's running on all 4. :party:

I have been working on a headlight issue for a few days now... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I thought it was the switch... everything reads good, so I moved to the started button. Cleaned that and nothing changed... sometimes the headlight works, sometimes it doesn't. Then I had to go to Texas for my son's graduation, 10 years of college! I'm glad that is over with, but now he has a Doctor in Musical Arts degree and I can get back to the headlight woes.

Last night I looked again and for some reason, I grabbed the fuse box, and the fuse for the headlight was actually hot. So, I am about to commit some surgery and replace the glass tube fuse box with a blade fuse box, but I am curious: what would cause the fuse to get so hot that I can't touch it?

Out with the old and in with the new.

image.php

The last time I did this, the hardest part was cutting the wires. This time it was a lot easier doing it.

image.php

In the old fuse block, the first four fuses are powered by a common source, the fifth fuse (parking lights) is just an in line, so I had to add a separate in-line fuse for that, then the remaining fuse on the original was for the ACC. In the process, I split that so I have two sources for a future addition of some accessories. Now I am left with four more open slots for all the extra lights this thing has on it.

image.php

The only thing left to do is label it.

image.php

When I was done, I figured out that the headlight problem I had was being caused by worn out contacts inside the dimmer switch. A couple taps on a screwdriver with a hammer and the contacts aren't so worn out any more.

brianinpa":37j0xcns said:
Don't forget the screwdriver Joe! You need the screwdriver to make it work...

Nothing ever works properly unless you threaten it with a screwdriver! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent some quality time in the garage over the weekend with some brillo pads in my hands. It amazes me how little effort is needed to return this 38 year old chrome to like new appearance.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

I still have a little bit to go, but now I'm on to the next battle, which I am currently losing, fork seals!

These act like they are glued in. I've never had seals that I could not pop out by using the slide hammer technique, and yes the circlip is removed. Time to try some persuasion.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210009#p210009:2au7tt63 said:
brianinpa » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 am[/url]":2au7tt63]
These act like they are glued in. I've never had seals that I could not pop out by using the slide hammer technique, and yes the circlip is removed. Time to try some persuasion.
The hydraulic method worked really well for me Brian. Pull the springs, fill up with oil and use a press to push the seals up. If you don’t try and keep putting more pressure after the seal has popped you don’t even have that much cleanup. :hihihi:

My problem with that... I don't have a press, so it required persistence. It took me about 30 minutes of slide hammering each side, but I finally was able to get them apart, now I need to order more parts :head bang: . I also kept the garage door closed so if any of the neighbors walked by and they heard all the :sensored: :sensored: I am sure they were wondering what was happening.