Poor man's driving light?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I started noticing the voltmeter reading goes below 11V (shaded zone) at idle with head light (HID) on. The voltage doesn't go above 13V (the center vertical tick?) even on the move (4000 rpm or so). I was worried that I run down the battery on long trips. (I use Battery Tender in the garage so daily rides are okay.)

I started replacing tail/brake lights with LED stuff (cheapo trailer lights from Harbor Freight).
Then I found this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-le ... 95799.html

The issue is that this unit has push button switch which cycles the light through /off/fast flashing/slow flashing/steady on/ modes and it's always off after the main power is turned on.

I opened the case and found a tiny board which does this cycling. Removing it and making direct connection to the LED board changed it to a simple LED light. I hot-glued the back of the board for water proofing and mounted it to the sidecar and conncted it to the position light wiring. It draws far less current and I think it's brighter that stock winker/position light. (Winker portion of the stock light is still in use.)

I've seen those lights, but I sure never thought about using one on the bike! :clapping:

Ah, yes. Photos.

item.jpg

item.jpg

item.jpg

Very nice! Now some cop will arest you guys for riding too close at night! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Omega Man":14jarpgj said:
That is so fickin cool! It looks like a plane, I dig that awesome high performance sticker on the fairing too. :rocks:

~O~

Yes, replacing weathered Honda emblem with that HP sticker adds 10MPH to the top speed!

slabghost":39svx4ja said:
How does it compare to the headlight in lighting the road ahead?

Good question.
I see it more like a running light for cagers to notice me than actually seeing the road ahead.
I will ride the rig w/o head light on to find out.

In any case, it should be much brighter than stock position lights on the fairing.

I think a light on the sidecar would be better than extra fairing lights because people seem to be more accustomed to watching lights spaced farther apart like a car, and that LED light is probably a different color than the headlight so that adds more visibility.

Amazing and creative idea, I like it, nice sidecar, don't know if I would fit in it.. :grin:

littlebeaver":18uc1g6p said:
Amazing and creative idea, I like it, nice sidecar, don't know if I would fit in it.. :grin:

The sidecar body is from Velorex 562 model which is 70's Jawa sidecar designed for 350~500cc motorcycles.
It is for an adult passenger though not so spacious.

> What does the rear of the sidecar look like, does it have brake lights too?

Yes. I mounted LED brake/tail light and the turn signal.
I also replaced stock GL brake/tail light with HF LED trailer lights.

item.jpg

item.jpg

Latest posts