Problem with VIN

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkwilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to buy insurance for the '80 STD I just bought and the VIN came back bad- The VIN on the title is SC022000xxx. Is this a valid VIN for an '80? The insurance co. said it needed to have 17 digits. Thanks

Thanks Dan,

The VIN is stamped on the headtube per the manual so I'll go check it tomorrow- I checked the title and registration and they were the same as I gave the Ins Co- Something is wrong- I got the bike from my neighbor so I'm sure we'll work it out.

Kirk

Yeah...the VIN numbers are correct...the insurance people are silly gooses....
They are used to dealing with late model stuff that has more alpha-numeric info in the VINs. If you have a title, show that to them, or even a good pic of the VIN stamping, and then tell whomever is giving you a hard time that the bike is prolly older than they are! :smilie_happy:

kah92340":1zv7ij1g said:
Well the computer will only accept 17 digits so nobody knows what to do, :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Lol :smilie_happy: What a headache... I guess you'll have to go in person and talk to the manager

Tell them to just add "XXX"
Angry-PC-User.gif

:smilie_happy:

I just pulled my registration and it's 14 numbers also and I have Geico. You probably just have to talk to someone with a little more experience there.
Good luck with it and keep us posted. :)

Does anybody else have a VIN that starts SC0XXXXXXXX ? I just talked to a moron at the local dealer who looked up the starting VIN for '80's and it was SC022000040. Starting in '81 the bikes were built in the US so Honda went to a VIN with more letters- for option coding I imagine. The idiot at the dealer read off a VIN for '81 and it was 14 digits. Then he insisted that all VINs have 17 digits. I said- You just gave me two VINs that had less- He said yeah but that's just the starting point- No kidding jackass- the second one built in '80 would be SC022000041 and the 10000th one would be SC022010000. STILL ELEVEN DIGITS! He hung up on me-

kirkwilson":2fcvh18s said:
Does anybody else have a VIN that starts SC0XXXXXXXX ? I just talked to a moron at the local dealer who looked up the starting VIN for '80's and it was SC022000040. Starting in '81 the bikes were built in the US so Honda went to a VIN with more letters- for option coding I imagine. The idiot at the dealer read off a VIN for '81 and it was 14 digits. Then he insisted that all VINs have 17 digits. I said- You just gave me two VINs that had less- He said yeah but that's just the starting point- No kidding jackass- the second one built in '80 would be SC022000041 and the 10000th one would be SC022010000. STILL ELEVEN DIGITS! He hung up on me-
Yep mine starts with SC0XXXXXXXXXXX
and it's a 1981 GL1100I

Hi,I just check my 1980 std title and it starts with SC,and only has 9 numbers.
The insurance person doesn't know what they are talking about.I have all my
Goldwings insured under the same policy,never a problem with veh.serial numbers.
Hope this helps,Stormer Geneva,Ohio

Mine is thru Progressive, and I didn't have any problems adding it to my policy. You apparently have one of the really "smart" Flos working there.... :head bang: :Awe:

Problem solved- Called back and got a 'smart' Flo. Turns out salvage titles usually start with the state abbreviation so my'SC' was coming up as a South Carolina salvage title. 'Smart' Flo simply added enough 'X's in front to make it work and everything went through no problem. Thanks for all the responses.

81 was the year all vins went 17 digits.. and SC is a Honda prefix for the vins... they added "1hj" or something similar in front starting in 81 to designate 1st year of 17 digit cyles.. the Goldwings and CB900/1000 share the SC prefix..

Latest posts